M2 lost motor control

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
mgodsey

M2 lost motor control

Post by mgodsey » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:36 am

I have an M2 with a v4 hotend, and it has been working fine. I tried a new print with some PETg filament, which didn't adhere well so I cancelled the print and set about leveling the bed. I use Simplify 3D and used their bed leveling wizard. It was working fine, moving to set positions at the corners, etc. I had to manually move the bed position to get to one of the leveling screws underneath, which I had been doing. All of a sudden, I now have no motor control. Bed position won't move despite using Jog controls. Extruder won't extrude or retract via job controls. I tried printing a part for grins, and the code is being sent but the printer doesn't respond to anything having to do with motors. Bed and extruder temperatures DO respond to control settings, and heat accordingly. So I know the PC and software is communicating with the printer. I then downloaded Pronterface just to see if I could control via something other than Simplify 3D. It connects, it heats, but no motor response. I have rebooted the laptop and the printer both multiple times.

Any thoughts? I don't know the mehanics of the printer but it looks like some centralized sensor or control is locking out all motors.

airscapes

Re: M2 lost motor control

Post by airscapes » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:36 am

open a terminal window and enter M503 and post the data that it returns

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:51 pm

mgodsey wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:36 am
manually move the bed position
Betcha you jostled the printer or the power cable when you did that; I have one of those t-shirts …

TURN OFF THE AC POWER, then check the motor power connector on the RAMBo board. This connector may have a separate cable from the power brick or have short wire jumpers to the adjacent plugs.

The screws should be snug on bare wires inside the plug(s) and the plug(s) should be snug in the socket on the PCB.

It's faintly possible that fuse F2 (the little one just south of connector block) is dislodged or blown, but I'd bet on the connector(s) being just slightly ajar.

mgodsey

Post by mgodsey » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:14 am

That is exactly what happened. The connector was *just* loose enough, without being visibly loose.

kwesthoff

Post by kwesthoff » Fri May 08, 2020 1:54 am

Thanks guys. I just had the exact same symptoms except mine stopped in the middle of an overnight print. Connector must have gotten knocked at some point in the past and finally vibrated loose. This thread saved me from going down a rabbit hole.