What settings causess these wall artifacts?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Fusion916

What settings causess these wall artifacts?

Post by Fusion916 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:24 am

I tweak some settings these issues go away, then tweak other settings and it potentially comes back. I am unable to isolate what the issue is. These walls are 0.125" wide, nozzle size 0.5mm, layer height 0.4mm, temp 245, ABS filament. I'm trying to print very clean horizontal lines per layer but as you can see I get both random blobs (over extrusion?) and some lines are rough instead of straight.

Right now I have my extrusion multiplier to 0.95, if I go under the wall strength is too fragile.

Any help?

Attachments
3d_printer_settings.fff
(12 KiB) Downloaded 329 times

ednisley

Re: What settings causess these wall artifacts?

Post by ednisley » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:20 pm

Fusion916 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:24 am
ABS filament
print very clean horizontal lines per layer
nozzle size 0.5mm, layer height 0.4mm
I have my extrusion multiplier to 0.95
First of all, the extrusion mulitplier is not a free variable. You must calibrate the EM so the slicer and the printer agree on how much plastic comes out of the nozzle; search the forums for directions.

The layer height should be no more than about half the nozzle diameter, so the nozzle tip can properly compress the molten plastic against the previous layer. Something like 0.3 mm (= 60%) will give better results.

The retraction settings definitely need tuning. Use a solid calibration square to isolate those problems, rather than a large part.

The ringing after abrupt edges comes from printing too fast for conditions: reduce both speed and acceleration. Search the forum with the obvious keywords for copious discussions and suggestions.

The other patterns come from infill or internal structures showing through the perimeter; another perimeter layer (or two) can mask those effects.

Finally, you can't get a smooth perimeter on an object made by squishing a thread of molten goo against a semi-solid mass. When surface finish is important to the final product, you must post-process the printed parts: sanding / high-fill primer / epoxy will become your new friends.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:13 pm

Everything Ed said and I print ABS at 235C in an closure heated to 50C (100F) Ringing is one of the things you get when your BED is the Y axis. If you have messed with the acceleration and Jerk that needs to go back to factory specs (firmware settings not slicer). Speed of the print is dependent on size of the item and having the extruder a bit hot, going fast = artifacts.. Always will have post processing if you are tying to use FFF for final product.

Fusion916

Post by Fusion916 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:50 am

So I decreased the layer height to 0.3mm and greatly reduced overall print speed, the x/y speed, the acceleration, and jerk of the extruder and the print quality has drastically increased on a smaller test part. I will print part of my large model with these settings and see if these improvements transfer over.

Thanks!

Fusion916

Post by Fusion916 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:15 am

Update:

So I printed the bigger model and and all of the issues are gone. Print looks perfect.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:44 am

Unfortunately there is a give and take with speed and finish.. Glad you got the problem solved!