Newbie seeking help with Benchy

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
mrinkunas

Newbie seeking help with Benchy

Post by mrinkunas » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:57 am

Hi all -

Newbie here with a used M2 V4 getting back into printing.

I've been reading the guides and slowly tweaking settings to improve the print quality, but I'm running into an issue I'm not sure how to fix and or how best to describe it. The printer is creating small globs on each of the curved overhangs that overtime gets built up large enough that the print head strikes a glob, and dislodges benchy from the bed.

close up images here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
What is the 'technical' term to describe this phenomenon? And suggestions on how to prevent it?

I've tried retracting on layer change, slowing down the acceleration, etc. Currently printing with a .15mm layer height with .35 nozzle.

Thank you all,
~Mike

jk42

Re: Newbie seeking help with Benchy

Post by jk42 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:03 pm

Mike,
That could be curling.
You could try lowering your print temp a little. 5°-10°.
Try it and see if it helps.
~Jason from MakerGear

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:40 pm

One of the problems new users have is overly high expectation of finish quality, I know I did for quite a while. The rest of your benchy looks really good from what i can see, but when using really thin layers like you are, and you hit really small areas like those 4 posts, the plastic gets over heated with the nozzle going over and over the same place causing the points to curl.. Also a theory I personally developed after printing hundreds of miniatures is: With PLA and layers thinner than .2 and tinny items the plastic is not used fast enough and cooks in the nozzle cause issue with fit and finish. That is my opinion developed from observation and probably not a factor with your boat.
Dropping the temp would probably help, or printing 2 parts at once so there is more time between layers on each pillar, 8 pillars rather then 4, with a non printing move between parts that will use up time. When you get your benchy to your liking, you will need to start printing real wold parts of the type you plan to make so you can figure out what settings need to be altered for those models. There is a rather larger learning curve for the slicer and how the settings work and interact with the particular filament and model.
Good luck and don't waste too much time on benchy boats, make something useful. :D

mrinkunas

Post by mrinkunas » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:16 pm

thank both of you guys - now I know Curling isn't just a sport!

Will knock down the temp and try again.

Going to start printing custom parts/models for a model railroad empire, plus other critically important items like gaming components :-)

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:01 pm

You will learn a lot printing small items! :D
Also, this is a product I swear by.. https://www.intservo.com/products/new-clearning I bought this same amount 2 years ago and have most of it left..you only use about 8" per cleaning.. there are several posts where I explain how it is used and a few folks even tried it and love it ..