(used) new makergear purchase

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
duggerinc

(used) new makergear purchase

Post by duggerinc » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:42 pm

Hello everyone, long story short I purchased a maker gear from a woman whose husband passed away. I got a fantastic deal on it but it has some problems, and i am not exactly sure which model I have purchased. it says makergear m2 on the rear with a serial number, dual extruders on it. tech support couldn't give me any info from the serial number so im turning to yall for help. its in bad shape and needs a severe cleaning and possibly a complete rebuild. there are loose screws everywhere. any easy ways to identify the revision #? plastic electronics box, old style bed leveler (3 point) zstop at the top..... anything helps. thanks in advance.

insta

Re: (used) new makergear purchase

Post by insta » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:22 pm

If it's a dual V4 extruder (vs a custom one) with a 3-point spider and a top-homing setup, it's a prototype dual -- so Rev D, ~ ish.

I'd take the whole thing (carefully) apart, clean all the slides with WD40 / QTips over and over, and re-lube with sewing machine oil. Make sure the fans are clean and quiet, and wires are zip-tied in the proper areas when reassembling them.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:23 am

I agree with insta, most likely a rev D model. To get the dual extruder on the M2 (assuming, as insta says, it's the standard MakerGear M2 dual extruder) requires the V4 upgrade and the 24V upgrade, so basically if the model was earlier than a rev D, it would pretty much have to have been upgraded to something that is essentially a rev D. On the other hand, there were relatively few people who went through with that extensive rebuild process, so most likely it's a stock rev D 24V with the dual extruder add-on. In which case you're probably in good shape and will only need to clean it up and tighten down the screws.

There are a number of us on the forum that have those models, so just ask away, and send photos if you still aren't sure and want someone to confirm it.

duggerinc

Post by duggerinc » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:44 am

thanks guys! I tried to get it printing as soon as i got it home. Had issues, got frustrated and set it on the back burner for a bit. well I pulled it back out today, fussed with the leveling for a while and got it printing. there are plenty of issues but its printing, the learning curve with s3d and a dual extruder took a minute to figure out as well. I am so excited! Thanks fellas! im looking forward to reading up about a dual extruder and how to get it printing just right.