Print with 0.01mm

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
DenysNazarenko

Print with 0.01mm

Post by DenysNazarenko » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:51 pm

Hi,

The 3 day with M2 and I love this machine. Now I can make perfect 0.1mm layer prints. But how about advertized 0.01mm prints?
I want to try make it just for fun and also interesting to create models that very smooth.
I'm use Simplify3D.
Could you please tell me settings for printing with 0.01mm PLA?
and
Please tell how to create smooth models?

Tim

Re: Print with 0.01mm

Post by Tim » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:58 am

I'm not sure how you go about finding things on the MakerGear blog, but I came up with the original "20 microns, I am" blog from September 2012:

http://www.makergear.com/blogs/frontpag ... crons-i-am

Theoretically, you just go to the slicer and set the layer height to 20 microns or 10 microns or whatever you want. Bear in mind that you can only do as well as the stepper motors can deliver, plus you're dealing with a thread of plastic that is a LOT bigger than 10 microns. At some point, you just can't see the difference any more, you're just causing your print to take a heck of a lot longer to finish. Which is why S3D calls 100 microns "high resolution". This is not to say that you shouldn't go experiment with the settings. Just don't expect to see much improvement beyond 100 microns.

DenysNazarenko

Post by DenysNazarenko » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:18 am

Hi,

Sorry to say Tim but to print with settings less than 0.1 seems we need additional tweaks for Extrusion settings. :cry:
Your link proves the ability but don’t tell how to do this :(

Of course I can try find the settings in experimental way but I hope that some one already try do this before.

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:05 pm

I said it was theoretical, meaning I've never tried it. . .

However, I did run the layer height down to 10um in S3D, and although I did not attempt to print the resulting piece, it appeared to slice properly. This is not to say that the printer hardware wouldn't choke on it. But, what slicer are you using and how far do you get down this path before it stops working, and in what way does it fail?

I started with a somewhat small print (takes less than an hour to print with normal 0.2mm layer height settings), and naturally, the estimated print time shot up to 26 hours at 10um. S3D, which is never very good at conserving memory, immediately filled up my 8GB RAM and spilled over into swap space. Yet in spite of these very good reasons not to print at 10um layer height, so far nothing in the software has told me that it cannot be done.

If you're looking to do very small, fine-detail prints, you're probably better off with a stereolithographic printer, which excels at that sort of thing (I first said laser sintering, but then edited that---I don't think there are any affordable laser sintering systems available).