Newbie:Cant Get computer to connect to M2

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
mferrand

Newbie:Cant Get computer to connect to M2

Post by mferrand » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:46 pm

Newbie,

I have window vista 7. Using device manager, It won't locate the driver. It will not allow me to pick the proper .INF. Does anybody have suggestions? I want to make a part this weekened. I made a folder with the .INF but does not show when I try to pick it. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mferrand

Re: Newbie:Cant Get computer to connect to M2

Post by mferrand » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:54 pm

I have Simplify 3D

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:35 pm

mferrand,

I assume you've done all of this:

1. Go to the MakerGear website, to the Instructions tab and select the "M2 Assembled" item. (Opens this page: http://www.makergear.com/pages/m2-assembled )

2. Scroll down to the Windows Driver item, click the word "Driver", which downloads the file http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0030/7 ... er.zip?920 (RAMBo_USBdriver.zip).

3. Went to the folder where that file was downloaded and opened it and extracted / copied out the two files:

* Rambo.CAT
* Rambo.INF

4. Plugged the cable from the M2 (with NO intervening USB hub) directly into your PC. THIS IS IMPORTANT. Many people have reported that they cannot talk to their M2 through a USB hub (for whatever reason...??? ).

5. Directed Windows to the folder containing the INF and CAT files extracted above.

6. Let Vista do its thing, resulting in a COM port showing up in your list of ports (often seems to show up as COM3).

7. Opened up S3D and its Machine Control Panel (MCP), then hit the "Refresh" button to refresh the list of ports.

8. Checked the baud rate. (Try both the highest ones: 115,200 and the 230k or whatever it is. I forget which of them works... not at my printer and not using my printing notebook right now...)

9. Selected the new port and clicked "Connect".

10. Tried this with every COM port and baud rate combination, just to be sure.

11. e-mailed S3D tech support for assistance. (Actually, this should be #1...)

As a last resort, install Linux (Ubuntu, Mint, Zorin, whatever) ---- no driver required. (Not in a virtual machine --- S3D checks for this and the license won't work in a VM...)
Dale

chh2

Post by chh2 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:27 pm

" You need to install the Arduino IDE from http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software to acquire the correct driver files." Quote from makerGear wiki.

mferrand

Post by mferrand » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:38 pm

Thanks for your help. I will re-try tonight.

mferrand

Post by mferrand » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:34 pm

All,
Finally got the drive installed. Still can't jog the motors. SF3D. Follwed their instructions.
Any idea why none of the motors will not move ? Yes, USB it is plugged in. I doubled checked the wiring.
I have a new RAMBo. Do I still need a jumper or something? My board is different than the picture.

jsc

Post by jsc » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:37 am

Does it look like it's connecting and communicating properly? Was this a kit or an assembled M2? Can you turn the fan up and down and have that work?