Trouble getting started

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
jimc

Re: Trouble getting started

Post by jimc » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:19 pm

Just looking at your pics, you first layer is way too high. You need to raise the bed. The nozzle should be close enough to the bed to squish the plastic so the edge of each line touches yhe one beside it. This is usually around .005". Second by looking at your top, it appears you are under extruding. You need to check the filament dia with a caliper and set that accordingly and maybe turn up your extrusion multiplier. I dont know what that is called in slic3r

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:31 pm

yes slic3r has the extrusion multiplier and it is set at .9 right now. I will try an extruder calibration posted by Alexrj https://github.com/alexrj/Slic3r/wiki/Calibration

I should have added that there was a brim that was pealed off the bottom. i will print a new one without the brim for comparison sake.

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:15 pm

I would be highly tempted to do this print with infill set at 0 degrees and 90 degrees (instead of 45 and 135). And do at least 3 "top layers" and 3 perimeters.

Also, something seems to be off temperature-wise. It looks like the layers are not adhering / melting into the next lower layer properly. In the top photo, see the thread that is pulled in at the upper left corner, and how the threads at the corners are rounded? If the filament were hot enough to melt into the next lower layer, the filament would not pull in like this --- the corner would be "crisp". Is this ABS? If so, be sure you are printing with only the extruder cooling fan (the upper one) running; the bed cooling fan (lower one) should be off for ABS (at least most users have had best success this way).

Hope this helps!
Dale

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:43 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Dale, I'll add these ideas to the long list of trouble shootings. Unfortunately any of the tools needed are at home so I will have to play with it tomorrow :/

I'm printing PLA 1.75 Dia. the cooling fan kicks on after the base layer is down, any advice on that?

jsc

Post by jsc » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:22 am

I concur with Jim's analysis: #1 issue is that you are not getting good adhesion in the first layer, most probably due to having your z height end stop set too far away. I think Dale's temperature theory is mistaken because the top photo shows the bottom of the print.

In PLA, a print like this shouldn't need a brim or raft.

My recommendation would be to address your z height issue first, as that is the primary issue. You can use feeler gauges, or lacking those, a business card.
You can also take a look at the "M2 tips" thread at the bed preparation techniques section for getting good adhesion (I swear by purple Elmer's glue stick, but everyone has their own favorites).

In PLA, your fan should come on after the first layer. With ABS, it should remain off the entire time.

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:38 pm

So I have done the following.
  • Leveled the bed

Raised Z Height to one notecard thickness (barely scrapes)
    Z Height passes on X and Y axis

Measured PLA filament in 4 spots and averaged to 1.762mm
    Set extruder ratio to 1

test printed 1 layer thick box and measured the perimeter of ~1 layer to 0.362mm

reset extruder ratio to 0.96
test printed my box test again and cut it off early....
IMG_0084.JPG
IMG_0084.JPG (72.73 KiB) Viewed 12989 times
Don't mind the warp on the base, I pulled it off prematurely, it sticks really well though
Whats up with the wide base, is that supposed to be removed?
Last edited by Matt_Sharkey on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jsc

Post by jsc » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:04 pm

You have brim enabled. Feel free to turn it off. It's intended for parts with minimal bed contact that need help with sticking.

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:17 pm

Well thats where I'm confused, I don't have brim enabled. it's set to 0mm

heres the finished print...
Attachments
IMG_0088.JPG
IMG_0088.JPG (92.78 KiB) Viewed 12992 times
IMG_0087.JPG
IMG_0087.JPG (117.03 KiB) Viewed 12992 times

insta

Post by insta » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:20 pm

That's "raft". Are you using slic3r? It's a setting called "Raft Layers" in the support tab. Make sure it's set to 0.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:26 pm

You're right, insta! Thanks!