Trouble getting started

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
jimc

Re: Trouble getting started

Post by jimc » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:31 am

loosen the motor mount, straighten it and retighten

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:40 am

Also check for cracks in the motor mount. It's possible that it was only a hard knock that shifted it, especially if the screws were not tight enough to begin with, but it's also possible that the mount has developed a crack, and tightening the screws will only make the problem worse. That happened to me and several other people, but is more likely for a machine that has been running for a while than for a new one.

nokianich

Post by nokianich » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:50 pm

jimc wrote:loosen the motor mount, straighten it and retighten
I can't, it's already turned all the way to the left and motor connector socket touches mount and doesn't let to twist it more
Tim wrote:Also check for cracks in the motor mount. It's possible that it was only a hard knock that shifted it, especially if the screws were not tight enough to begin with, but it's also possible that the mount has developed a crack, and tightening the screws will only make the problem worse. That happened to me and several other people, but is more likely for a machine that has been running for a while than for a new one.
doesn't look like it has a crack... okay, thank you, gonna live with it :)

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:50 pm

Odd---I've never heard of the connector getting in the way of the motor mount (but there have been multiple versions of the motor mount). Can you post a picture? It sounds more like something's not installed right more than anything else.

While my first reaction is to tell you to get to the root of the problem and fix it, should you really decide you're just going to live with it, then find that line in the gcode start script I mentioned and add enough mm to the X value to get the nozzle off of the plate. Printing with the nozzle at a slight angle may or may not affect print quality (there's some debate on this), but purging directly onto the glass with the Z axis at home position is clearly asking for trouble.

nokianich

Post by nokianich » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:15 am

Tim wrote:Odd---I've never heard of the connector getting in the way of the motor mount (but there have been multiple versions of the motor mount). Can you post a picture? It sounds more like something's not installed right more than anything else.

While my first reaction is to tell you to get to the root of the problem and fix it, should you really decide you're just going to live with it, then find that line in the gcode start script I mentioned and add enough mm to the X value to get the nozzle off of the plate. Printing with the nozzle at a slight angle may or may not affect print quality (there's some debate on this), but purging directly onto the glass with the Z axis at home position is clearly asking for trouble.
he re is the photo

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6tjgnmjafi0o3 ... 6.jpg?dl=0

I'm totally new to 3d printers and g-coding, I don't know anything about it and even don't know where to look for it :(

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:13 am

Huh. Everything looks basically like I remember it, but I don't remember that wire guide extension of the motor mount running into the connector on the back of the motor. Unfortunately, I have a completely different mount right now and it would be a lot of effort to put it back the way it was to check, although there should be plenty of people reading the forum who have the same extruder mount as you and can confirm whether or not the connector runs into the wire guide. Perhaps you should just take a file to the wire guide and file it down until there's enough room for the connector (or just lop the end off of it). But when I'm down to suggesting "things that you really ought not to have to do", there's some mystery going on. . .

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:04 am

yes what is in the pic is right. the motor should be straight so if the hotend is shooting off on an angle then you should fin out why. is the centerline of the filament drive on an angle or is the hot end crooked in the mount?

nokianich

Post by nokianich » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:50 pm

jimc wrote: is the centerline of the filament drive on an angle or is the hot end crooked in the mount?
centerline of the filament drive

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:18 pm

Yes the filament drive that holds the hot end. Look at it with the fans removed. Is that not straight as well or is the hit end just crooked in the mount?

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:25 pm

Looking at the picture, since it doesn't show the hot end, but rather the extruder motor mount, I think you're saying there's an interference between the hiring harness mount and the extruder motor connector (four color wires). Please understand that the extruder motor can be mounted in any of four orientations (connector at top, left, bottom, or right), to avoid the interference. Orient the motor so the connector doesn't interfere, but the harness wiring can reach it.

Does that help? I'm not at my printer to see which way I oriented mine. But I don't think my connector is at the top... Of course, I'll go home and look at it and it will be... ;-)
Dale