Print Quality

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
dklassen

Re: Print Quality

Post by dklassen » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:28 pm

I seem to be getting things dialed in pretty well using rsilvers PLA profile. One thing, as you can see on the right I'm still getting a seam line. I have "choose start point to a specific location" set otherwise I still get zits. At least with this I can localize them. Any thoughts on a final tweak?
Attachments
IMG_2447.JPG
IMG_2447.JPG (137.38 KiB) Viewed 12729 times
IMG_2446.JPG
IMG_2446.JPG (150.23 KiB) Viewed 12729 times

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:29 pm

Turn coasting and wipe on. Coast, start small then slowly increase.

dklassen

Post by dklassen » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:15 am

Thanks much! Getting better.

nokianich

Post by nokianich » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:57 am

fellows, could you pls tell me what I did wrong?

Abs, 250/90C, layer width .35, multiplier .90, 4800mm/min and I get layer separation on my prints, printed 2 parts last night and had the same problem, now I have 4 pieces of those parts.
sep2.jpg
sep2.jpg (46.59 KiB) Viewed 12607 times
sep1.jpg
sep1.jpg (56.82 KiB) Viewed 12607 times

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:46 am

i dont think you really did anything wrong. thats abs and what it does. abs warps bad. either the bed adhesion gives up from the stress and the part curls up or if its bonded really well like in your case then the part will crack and split. its mother nature. plastic shrinks when it cools. each layer cools and pulls on the print until something gives. something to note though that could help a little. you said your layer width is .35. i assume you are referring to your extrusion width and not layer height. the m2 has a .35 nozzle. you should not print at a width that equals your nozzle width. a .35 nozzle should not really be asked to print less than .4. optimally extrusion width should be .42 or higher. low widths cause poor layer adhesion. believe me your abs will still warp, curl and crack but it may not be as bad if you correct that.

nokianich

Post by nokianich » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:10 am

jimc wrote:i dont think you really did anything wrong. thats abs and what it does. abs warps bad. either the bed adhesion gives up from the stress and the part curls up or if its bonded really well like in your case then the part will crack and split. its mother nature. plastic shrinks when it cools. each layer cools and pulls on the print until something gives. something to note though that could help a little. you said your layer width is .35. i assume you are referring to your extrusion width and not layer height. the m2 has a .35 nozzle. you should not print at a width that equals your nozzle width. a .35 nozzle should not really be asked to print less than .4. optimally extrusion width should be .42 or higher. low widths cause poor layer adhesion. believe me your abs will still warp, curl and crack but it may not be as bad if you correct that.

yes, extrusion width, layer height was .2mm. So everytime I print with ABS I have a chance to get that? that is bad news... what about petg? infill was 15%, maybe to make it about 30%? will it help?

Thank you for an advise, already changed it to .42.

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:14 am

you wont get that with every abs part. it will always shrink as it cools and will warp but alot has to do with the shape of the part as well. very boxy things with straight walls will be super prone to it. your item is rectangle shaped, with corners plus its thin. parts that are round, wavy or organic shaped are less prone to it. i have printed dozens of spools of abs and now im finally done and moved on to petg. i have none of those issues anymore. pet is a great thing but also harder to dial in the settings since they need to be right on the money. once you got it set though your good.

nokianich

Post by nokianich » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:55 pm

jimc wrote:you wont get that with every abs part. it will always shrink as it cools and will warp but alot has to do with the shape of the part as well. very boxy things with straight walls will be super prone to it. your item is rectangle shaped, with corners plus its thin. parts that are round, wavy or organic shaped are less prone to it. i have printed dozens of spools of abs and now im finally done and moved on to petg. i have none of those issues anymore. pet is a great thing but also harder to dial in the settings since they need to be right on the money. once you got it set though your good.

Thank you!