Printing Interface

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
SeamusBot

Printing Interface

Post by SeamusBot » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:27 pm

Does the M2 recognize any other interface other than Simplify3D?

ednisley

Re: Printing Interface

Post by ednisley » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:39 pm

SeamusBot wrote:Does the M2 recognize any other interface other than Simplify3D?
The RAMBo board runs Marlin firmware, so any control program that expects a standard RepRap will recognize it.

I generate G-Code with Slic3r and drive the printer with Pronterface: they work fine.

SeamusBot

Post by SeamusBot » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:11 pm

Thanks for the reply... one additional question (more specific) If familiar with NX output, can you comment on Printing using this software?

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:42 am

SeamusBot wrote:If familiar with NX output
The tool chain looks like this:
  • Solid modeling program -> solid model file
  • Slicing program -> G-Code
  • Printer interface -> printer
  • Printer -> molten plastic
NX is (as I just discovered) a high-end solid modeling program, so after you've created a design, you export the geometry as an STL (or AMF or whatever) file suitable for the slicing program. As long as NX can create a file that your slicing program can process, you're set; the printer and its control program don't know and don't care what you feed into the slicer, as long as the proper flavor of G-Code emerges from the other end.

I use OpenSCAD for my simple models, Slic3r to generate the G-Code, and Pronterface to drive the printer. You can equally well use NX for the models, then feed STL / AMF files into Slic3r and the G-Code into Pronterface.

Obviously, however, you have far deeper pockets than I... [grin]