First several layers on this print look over melted?

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
KiddingMe

First several layers on this print look over melted?

Post by KiddingMe » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:40 pm

I printed the maker gear bracelet again and noticed that the first several layers appear more melted then the upper layers. The top half of the bracelet came out fantastic. Is the lower half supposed to be smaller in height then the upper half or is it smaller because of the over heated/melted look I'm seeing?

Any tips for getting that perfect top half look across the whole print?
Attachments
image.jpg
(830.24 KiB) Downloaded 467 times

Matt_Sharkey

Re: First several layers on this print look over melted?

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:49 pm

What have you done for calibrations? was this the sample print delivered with the printer?

The sample prints should produce "ideal" factory finishes so the gcode should be good.

Make sure you Z axis is good and bed is leveled.

KiddingMe

Post by KiddingMe » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:06 pm

Yes this was one of the included g-files.

I've printed a 40mm calibration cube that came out well. All dimensions were within 0.25mm.

Maybe it has more to do with the model only being one layer thick? It seemed to improve the further it got from the build plate...maybe the build plate needs to be at lower temps for thin walled models?

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:15 pm

Do the included files even have embedded bed temps? First layer spread is caused by too low a first layer or too high a bed temp. For PLA, try 60. Or lower with adhesives. Or 0 with tape.

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:40 pm

another thought.....it doesnt appear to go all around the print. looks like its just that area. if so you will get something that looks like that if that corner were lifting. did you notice if that corner or area was attached solid down to the bed?

KiddingMe

Post by KiddingMe » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:45 pm

The picture is miss-leading because the defect does exist all the way around the print. And the print never lifted from the glass.

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:51 am

is this your first print?

Edit: nvm you stated that you did this before (i assume) how about filament issues, how is the quality of the filament and what is the diameter, using a micrometer to find out its true size.

I might suggest that it was caused by a filament feed issue, which could be solved just by printing another and seeing how it goes. maybe raise the extruder temp by 5C (may need to edit the gcode to accomplish this)