Help with my new M2 please

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
Unamnesia

Help with my new M2 please

Post by Unamnesia » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:26 pm

I just got the M2 a few days ago and have not had much time to play with it. I have come across a problem this morning with the z-axis. When homing the z-axis, about 4cm from the extruder the z-axis just drops all the way to the bottom of the machine and tries to climb again. When it is about 4cm from the top it will drop again until it seems to time out. It is not hitting the endstop. Any help for a noob would be appreciated. Thanks.

PS: I'm using pronterface.

jereywolf

Re: Help with my new M2 please

Post by jereywolf » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:11 pm

If you are using S3D, in the control panel, click "enable motors". That might help.

jsc

Post by jsc » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:27 pm

That will happen if the Z axis motor encounters any resistance. Raise the bed manually and check all around for anything that might be hanging it up. Maybe some wiring is looped around the spider, or there is something on the bed, or who knows. If it looks free and clear and you can raise the bed to the nozzle by hand, then check to see if your Z axis lead screw and guide rods are lubricated. The screw should come with a coating of white lithium grease, and the guide rods should have a thin film of oil on them.

Unamnesia

Post by Unamnesia » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:05 pm

Thanks for the help. The z-axis was a little dry about half-way up.