Noob getting started questions

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
mharter

Noob getting started questions

Post by mharter » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:01 pm

Good morning all! Just got my M2 assembled and set up and I have a question about getting started.

When I start a print, the X and Y axis zero out and apparently the Z axis is as well. The Z axis is set all the way to the bottom (the printing platform is resting on the base of the printer frame). Then the print starts with the platform all the way extended, it never raised back up to the extruder (well, it would raise maybe 20 or so mm and then stop there, just before the Z axis stop where it should be zero'd. I am not exactly sure what I am doing wrong for the Z axis platform to retract all the way to the bottom of the machine.

How can I set the zero point of the Z axis to be up at the top near the extruder head, it the starting position? The Z axis stop and stop screw are installed properly and the proper distance between the extruder and the glass has been achieved.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciate as I am eager to get this machine printing!!

-mharter

Edit: Using the most recent version of Simplify3D software.
Last edited by mharter on Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sthone

Re: Noob getting started questions

Post by sthone » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:47 pm

What printer software are you using?

-Steve

mharter

Post by mharter » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:50 pm

I am using S3D.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:26 pm

mharter wrote:apparently the Z axis is as well. The Z axis is set all the way to the bottom
As part of the initialization sequence, the Z platform will move upward, touch the switch at the top of its travel, then remain close to the top.

Turn off the power before disconnecting any wires!

If it drives upward, doesn't get to the top, and falls to the bottom (perhaps while making a nasty buzz), then the Z axis is binding. Turn off the power and raise the platform by twisting the knob, note where it gets difficult to turn, and adjust the Z axis hardware until you feel smooth travel over the entire distance.

If it drives firmly downward and stops at the bottom, then the Z axis motor is wired backwards. The wire color codes are not standardized, but you can use an ohmmeter to identify the two pairs of wires; interchange the two wires of one pair and the motor will move in the other direction.

That covers the easy failures, so if it's still not working, you'll be learning even faster!

sthone

Post by sthone » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:11 pm

Go to the Machine Control Panel (Ctrl P) and then click on the Jog Controls Tab does clicking the Home Z button at the bottom bring the platform all the way to the top?

-Steve

mharter

Post by mharter » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:26 pm

I think that it may be wired backwards. When I hit home the machine, the platform does drive downwards. Will have to try this when I get home from work today. The Home Z button does not bring the platform to the top, it sends it to the bottom.

I will try the fix when I get home.

Thanks everyone for their responses. I will update this thread with my findings.

mharter

Post by mharter » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:21 am

Z axis wire was reversed. Now gotta solve the z stop. When I home the z axis, it always hits the z stop...it would keep going till it hit the extruded head. I'll search the forum first. Thanks all.

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:48 am

You should run through the first move procedures for the printer. They include things like testing the end stops manually being prepared to cut power if they don't work. Your end stop probably isn't wired in correctly. Does the red light come on?
Last edited by jsc on Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mharter

Post by mharter » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:33 pm

The red light does come on, so I think that is OK. Do you have a link for the first move procedures? I do not remember seeing anything about that.

sthone

Post by sthone » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:02 pm

I think this might be what your looking for http://makergear.wikidot.com/m2-getting-started#toc13 it has info on checking all the end stops and such.

-Steve