Helping Me out

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
sdigs

Helping Me out

Post by sdigs » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:11 pm

I am looking to order the m2 next week. I was looking at what options/spare kits/ accessories others have bought and maybe why? Want to make sure I get off to the best start.

sdigs

Jules

Re: Helping Me out

Post by Jules » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:28 pm

Haven't gotten mine yet, but I did do the same research that you're doing, and I opted for the upgrades below:

Simplify3D software.
Extra Hot End (Extruder) In case I clog one up and need to take it off for cleaning.
Spare Parts set -Just an extra printout of all the plastic parts for the printer. (Because if something can go wrong, it usually does.) They will be a big time saver.
Additional roll of Makergear ABS filament to play with. (It comes with 1 roll of PLA if you buy it pre-assembled.)

Thought about getting a spare glass bed as well, but decided I wanted to see it first.

I'm brand new to 3D printing though, so you might not need to buy all the Spare Parts if you are comfortable with printing already...you can print your own once the machine comes.

benavery

Post by benavery » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:52 pm

Simplify3D is amazing, I'd recommend that.
Spares for the printer itself are just nice-to-haves, but not super neccessary. I've only had a couple of jams in the hotend, and was able to clear them without needing any new parts. Printing a spare motor-mount is useful, as they had a habbit of cracking, but that was mostly prior to the resigned version by Makergear which I believe they are shipping all printers with nowdays

Get some regular glue sticks, some blue tape, a paint scraper for prying off prints.
A set of calipers are super useful too - for both measuring exact filament diameter, to measuring calibration prints, and I use mine constantly when designing parts.
You'll need cutters for trimming the end of filament before loading it into the printer.

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:47 am

the biggest thing is s3d. there are many slicers out there but the reason i say s3d is because you are a beginner at this and not all but most of the makergear community uses s3d so it will be easier for us to help you when you run into a snag. all the plastic parts on the printer can be printed by you. no need to buy them really. makergear makes the files available to everyone. be sure you actually print them though and have them on hand at all time. if one breaks and you dont have a spare then your sol until makergear or another member here ships you a new one.

sdigs

Post by sdigs » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:22 pm

Thanks for everyone's input. I have placed the order and now just waiting for it to ship. Can't wait :D