What causes a y offset to occur in the middle of a print?

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
insta

Re: What causes a y offset to occur in the middle of a print

Post by insta » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:59 pm

Haha there's no fight, I just like seeing the way Ed does things :)
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:57 pm

insta wrote:Haha there's no fight, I just like seeing the way Ed does things :)
I wasn't referring to you, it's just what that photo of two stepper motors ganged together like that triggered in my mind. Like they were about to arm wrestle.

Slipshine

Post by Slipshine » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:36 pm

Ok. So if ed,s data is correct on torque. Then the torque should not be diminished going from 1/8 to 1/16.
Then that brings me back to my original problem. Since upgrading to the current Rambo I have had several prints shift in the y axis.
I have reduced the acceleration to 1000 and the rapid from 18000 to 14000. I will continue to slow it down until it works but it does bring to question.
What is the cause of the ability of the old rambo board to run at settings that the new board fails . The problem is only in the y axis which is the axis that caries the most weight so I figure it is still torque related. The best I can come up with it the settings for acceleration are pulse based so if the firmware hasn,t been updated then it it accelerating and decelerating in a certain number of pulses. Since each pulse now travels only half the difference it now has to acc/dec in half the distance.

Any thoughts

jsc

Post by jsc » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:47 pm

You can change the max current available to the steppers. Maybe increasing it for the Y motor would help? I don't know much about how to calculate safe limits for steppers, though.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:58 pm

yes im sure the currents are all different. its finding that happy medium between keeping it low and the steppers cool or too high and running hot.

lem

Post by lem » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:03 am

Then that brings me back to my original problem. Since upgrading to the current Rambo I have had several prints shift in the y axis.
It's a long shot, but do you know the history of the Marlin firmware in your new Rambo?

I believe that I remember someone went to the latest release of Marlin and encountered problems. I think it was missing stepper motor steps (and I'm not sure but I think it might have been insta).

Also, Rick posted a message that said that the new Arduino IDE would not work properly for updating the Marlin firmware and I believe he recommended going back to version 1.55 of the Arduino IDE for Marlin updates to Rambo.

My memory isn't what it used to be (sigh) and I can't find the messages that I think I remember.

insta

Post by insta » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:23 am

Both of those statements are accurate. It's not necessarily the firmware version, it seems to be the Arduino version, which is the biggest load of horsepoop ever.

It's also a general statement that if somebody did something goofy to an M2 and it went wrong, it was me.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

lem

Post by lem » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:21 pm

It's also a general statement that if somebody did something goofy to an M2 and it went wrong, it was me.
Ouch! :D

Slipshine

Post by Slipshine » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:14 pm

jimc wrote:It's a long shot, but do you know the history of the Marlin firmware in your new Rambo?
It came from makergear. I will try and lookup the settings I had on the old board and see if there is a difference.