loving my printer but need help with two things...

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
grievence

loving my printer but need help with two things...

Post by grievence » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:34 pm

I managed to get it up and running; getting a pretty decent print at .2 and I can't wait to see what it can do when I get better at using it!

first issue is more of a question; I had seen that the 50mm fan should always be running; is this the case? mine runs intermittent and I kept manually turning it on with the command. Should the code for the model take care of this? I started with something on myminifactory just to try it.

second issue is the z stop; i'm thinking it might be a wiring issue as I get the the light turning on randomly. sometimes it's dim and varies in intensity which is leading me to think it's a bad harness but I may be overlooking something else. Any help is appreciated.

jereywolf

Re: loving my printer but need help with two things...

Post by jereywolf » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:37 pm

The second fan is something that you can control in your g-code. Whether you have it on throughout the print depends on what type of filament you are using. For PLA you need the fan to cool the plastic.

Is the z-stop light turning on during the print?

grievence

Post by grievence » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:48 pm

okay so the fan should be running the whole time, where would I look to see why it's not? sorry, the whole gcode side is new to me.

As for the light it turns on mid print. if I tap the electronics case it turns on, so it's looking like its a short in the wire. It came on during a print last night but didn't seem to really affect it at all. sometimes the movement of the printer printing is enough to make the light come on.

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:02 pm

grievence wrote:okay so the fan should be running the whole time, where would I look to see why it's not? sorry, the whole gcode side is new to me.

As for the light it turns on mid print. if I tap the electronics case it turns on, so it's looking like its a short in the wire. It came on during a print last night but didn't seem to really affect it at all. sometimes the movement of the printer printing is enough to make the light come on.
That coupled with the fact the fan keeps turning on and off intermittently would lead me to believe you are correct and you have a short or bad connection somewhere. Check your wiring.

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:33 pm

did you buy the printer assembled or as a kit?

grievence

Post by grievence » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:07 pm

kit. double checked all the connects. if i wiggle the harness with the z stop it will light up.

still having fan issues. it goes fine til about halfway through the print then turns off and i manually have to turn it back on with commands.

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:46 pm

for the fan, i assume you dont have it set to do that in your slicer when you slice the model? as for the z switch. loosen it up and take the bracket and everything off the rod. look closely and be sure there are no stray wire strands jumping and making connection there. none of the wires should be able to touch with everything secured in that bracket.

grievence

Post by grievence » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:36 am

I think i'm just being overly paranoid with the fan, i left it alone on a print and it would turn on when I assume it felt it was needed. I ended up with the plastic splitting which i'm not sure was a issue due to the extruder temp or needing more cooling.

As far as the Z stop, it's the opposite end. it's along the wiring about 3-4 inches away from the z stop min plug in on the cord as best as I can narrow it down to.

grievence

Post by grievence » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:54 am

20150721_203002.jpg
(393.52 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
20150721_203006(1).jpg
20150721_203006(1).jpg (130.01 KiB) Viewed 10838 times
heres two pics I took of what i've done thus far. the left coin was done with .1 layers, at 210 c, figuring the temp was high I tried it at 175 and it came out much worse. could I possibly have the extruder to close to the plate?

the second picture is of a low poly bulbasaur, the bottom was a wreck as i expected due to the overhangs; going back in towards the top it was amazing, then on the bulb it did that; not quite sure what is going on.

sorry to keep going on and on but beyond the assembly and the getting started info i'm going it blind :lol:

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:02 am

well i cant tell if your plate is too close without seeing a picture of the first layer BUT you are most definitely over extruding. you are putting out way too much material. measure your filament and make sure that is entered into the slicer right. if that is correct then you need to lower your multiplier