loving my printer but need help with two things...

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
jsc

Re: loving my printer but need help with two things...

Post by jsc » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:49 am

If the bed fan (lower angled one) is going on and off according to how big a layer is, you probably have the setting turned on in the slicer that adjusts the fan based on a layer print time. In S3D, it's under cooling. Other slicers have a similar setting.

If your TOP fan is not running properly, you have a problem and need to get it fixed right away or risk a meltdown.

Your z-stop sounds like it may have issues. Contact MakerGear and they will debug it or replace it.

As a general rule, run fan 100% for PLA after the first layer; no fan for ABS. I like 210-220 for PLA, but it can depend on the brand/color.

This thread will clear up many many different problems if you run that simple calibration. You can also use it to set your first layer height.

Check out this thread for a collection of things which are useful to be exposed to.

grievence

Post by grievence » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:43 am

my top fan is constantly going full from the time the power goes on. i've yet to see it slow outside of a pause when i connect.

I suppose I need to switch to S3D, for the time I was using Slic3r and was getting used to it.

I haven't actually measured it but it's the 1.75 roll that comes with the kit; might try downing the multiplier just to see how it affects it.

Edit: Edit to say thank you all for being helpful; I spent the weeks since I ordered reading up but apparently didn't learn anything :roll:

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:52 am

yes you need to measure it. its classified at 1.75mm filament only. it can vary in size from 1.65-1.85. you need to take 3-4 measurements maybe a foot or two apart from one another then take an average.

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:44 pm

If you just run the calibration in the first link, you won't have to guess, you can just verify that it's correct. Measuring the filament and entering the correct value isn't strictly necessary, it will just ensure that the correct multiplier you specify is closer to 1.0 than otherwise.