New new to this. They haven't even shipped my M2 yet.

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
Mark the Greater

Re: New new to this. They haven't even shipped my M2 yet.

Post by Mark the Greater » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:59 pm

Jules wrote:Here's a good resource:

http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code
Oh! Well then, that seems like some nice light reading. I never feel stupid unless I am around people that speak a technical language.

Thanks Jules! That is exactly what I was looking for.
Love Always,
MtG

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:10 pm

Mark the Greater wrote:
Jules wrote:Here's a good resource:

http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code
Oh! Well then, that seems like some nice light reading. I never feel stupid unless I am around people that speak a technical language.

Thanks Jules! That is exactly what I was looking for.

Chuckle! It's actually not too bad.....I printed it out and hit the (relatively few) pertinent codes that are useful with a highlighter. :D

Mark the Greater

Post by Mark the Greater » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:11 pm

Nice. I have quite the binder going already. I like hard-copies. You can take notes way more easily.
Love Always,
MtG

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:30 pm

Mark the Greater wrote:I had it in my head differently what that command did. Just for the sake of curiosity though, why would I get a syntax error? Is there a preface not included in the text I was reading?
I think the problem here is the use of the phrase "use the Z +.1 ... command". There is no "Z +.1" command; I think what they mean is to click on the .1 button in the GUI under the +Z ... -Z column. This button implements a series of three actual G code commands, which are:

Code: Select all

G91
G1 Z0.1 F3000
G90
This highlights the reason why you probably want to use the buttons instead of sending straight G code. . . The "G1" command is a motor positioning command, but if the system is in absolute coordinates, then "G1 Z0.1" will (nearly) home the Z axis, not move the Z axis down by 0.1mm. "G91" sets relative coordinates, "G1" does the (relative) move, and "G90" goes back to absolute coordinates.

Mark the Greater

Post by Mark the Greater » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:39 pm

Yup. All of that makes perfect sense. You are a great resource Tim. Thank you kindly!
Love Always,
MtG

Mark the Greater

Post by Mark the Greater » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:36 pm

Man, this thing is AWESOME!!! Even if my prints look like someone P'd on a B.

Anyone want to go to work for me and then watch my son so I can put eighty hours a week into this?
Love Always,
MtG

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:03 am

Mark the Greater wrote:Man, this thing is AWESOME!!! Even if my prints look like someone P'd on a B.
Anyone want to go to work for me and then watch my son so I can put eighty hours a week into this?
Mark, are those metric hours or imperial hours? ;)

If you want an appreciation for metric, put together the M2 as a kit. After that, visualizin "M3x14" hardware is just so "duh!" I can see it in my head. Whenever I use Amurican tools, I have to take 3 or 4 sockets with my ratchet, because I can never remember whether 1/4-20 nuts are 1/2, 7/16 or what socket. PITA.

There was a bit on the XM Canadian comedy channel (called "Laugh Attack" back when) about metric time. The basic unit of time was a day, but you couldn't call it that -- it had to be something different -- so he called it a dec. Then you have your centidecs, millidecs and microdecs. Everything is multiples of 2, 5, or 10, so you can't have 7 days in a week. You get rid of the crappy decs like Mondec and Tuesdec and have 5 decs in a wec. And so on and so on. The best part of the sketch is at the end when the guy does the fast-talking Canadian radio announcer confusing the heck out of the Amuricans who just came across the border --- "... you've been listening to the tunes of Gordon Lightmeter --- it's 75 after, watch for news at the top of the centidec, every centidec, everyt dec of the wec!" (something like that, only WAY better... I can't do it justice!)

But seriously, I'm in Ohio and I GREATLY appreciate the M2 being all metric. Now when do I get my speed limits in m/s?

Mark the Greater

Post by Mark the Greater » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:40 pm

Dale Reed wrote:Now when do I get my speed limits in m/s?
I think you just have to b*tch louder. Better yet, get Facebook all up in a tiffy. Everything will change once Facebook hears about your plight. For a week...maybe...
Love Always,
MtG

Mark the Greater

Post by Mark the Greater » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:10 am

Holy drunken H*ll!!!

My prints are finally coming out great! Woot! Woot! Anyone know how to save a setting profile in S3D? I was told I could do that. I think...
Love Always,
MtG

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:55 am

close your process window and goto file/export fff. you can also save a factory file as well which includes the model.