New new to this. They haven't even shipped my M2 yet.

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
ednisley

Re: New new to this. They haven't even shipped my M2 yet.

Post by ednisley » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:36 pm

Mark the Greater wrote:Isn't this thing made in Ohio? WTF Ohio?
Ohio is stuck in the same inch-based jerkwater tide pool as the rest of the 50 States, more's the pity. Fortunately, most of the initial DIY 3D printer development happened outside the US, where inches aren't a thing, and it shows.

Ain't nobody gonna demonstrate the least bit of comprehension when you talk about a 7.874 mil thread thickness. [grin]

(Oh, and you can't round it off to a nice 8 mil layer, because then you get into Z-axis step rounding and you do not want to be in that place.)

But I use inches every now & again, because when they made the dials on my South Bend lathe, back in the 1920s, millimeters definitely weren't in the running...

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:04 pm

ednisley wrote:
Mark the Greater wrote:Isn't this thing made in Ohio? WTF Ohio?
Ohio is stuck in the same inch-based jerkwater tide pool as the rest of the 50 States, more's the pity. Fortunately, most of the initial DIY 3D printer development happened outside the US, where inches aren't a thing, and it shows.

Ain't nobody gonna demonstrate the least bit of comprehension when you talk about a 7.874 mil thread thickness. [grin]

(Oh, and you can't round it off to a nice 8 mil layer, because then you get into Z-axis step rounding and you do not want to be in that place.)

But I use inches every now & again, because when they made the dials on my South Bend lathe, back in the 1920s, millimeters definitely weren't in the running...

But but but .... the metric system is hard ... based on the number 10 .... if only we had some way of counting to ten *looks at hands*.

Seriously though as an Aussie living in the US , every time I hear someone use an expression like 1/32 of an inch I want to slap them ... let me just mentally divide an inch into 32 pieces etc etc

Mark the Greater

Post by Mark the Greater » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:09 pm

Yeah yeah. It's all arbitrary. Metric sucks for machining (I'm told. Not a real machinist so don't yell at me. I just drink with them okay?). Plus, you say 1/32 and I know exactly what you're talking about. How about a cup of something? You want a cup of flour? Cup of sugar? Would your cake taste better with 236.588ml of sugar instead? Wow Flo, this cake is amazing! What's in it? Lots of fucking insects and it will take an hour and a scale to tell you how to make it. Sounds fun Flo, I'm going home now.

Metric. Phss.
Love Always,
MtG

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:17 pm

Mark the Greater wrote:......Metric. Phss.
:lol: :lol: :lol: You'll get used to it very quickly. (But it's amazing how long you'll carry the 25.4mm/inch conversion around in your head.) :D

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:26 pm

Mark the Greater wrote:Yeah yeah. It's all arbitrary. Metric sucks for machining (I'm told. Not a real machinist so don't yell at me. I just drink with them okay?). Plus, you say 1/32 and I know exactly what you're talking about. How about a cup of something? You want a cup of flour? Cup of sugar? Would your cake taste better with 236.588ml of sugar instead? Wow Flo, this cake is amazing! What's in it? Lots of fucking insects and it will take an hour and a scale to tell you how to make it. Sounds fun Flo, I'm going home now.

Metric. Phss.

Well technically it would be grams of sugar....

Mark the Greater

Post by Mark the Greater » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:27 pm

Well technically a cup is a unit of volume... And hey, I said scale.
Love Always,
MtG

insta

Post by insta » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:54 pm

mark stop being the guy padding upstream with your freedom units in our river of sanity

the only thing the imperial units are better at is being cheaper to purchase rulers and calipers in the US 8-)
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:42 pm

lmao! i personally know a few machinists and a few people in manufacturing and not a single one uses the metric scale. i just cant get into it either. just too used to imperial i guess. comes from growing up in a family of woodworkers i guess.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:11 am

Mark the Greater wrote:Metric sucks for machining
Aye, millimeters are too coarse and microns are too fine! That's why real machinists use inches and actual fractions with slanty virgules: no sissy decimal point fractions for them!

Actually, that would be real carpenters. Fractions actually make sense in woodworking, where it's dead simple to find the middle of a thing by dividing its length by two. Heck, even I can double the denominator in my head and usually get it right.

Given the coarse resolution of DIY 3D printing, millimeters are about the right size: the smallest feature is about 1 mm across.

The key advantage of metric: 3D printer makers can brag about their "50 micron" layers, which sounds ever so cool and techy and even smaller than "0.05 mm".

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:40 am

Jules wrote:welcome to the nuthouse!
We used to say "welcome to the fun", but perhaps that's more appropriate. . .