Thought I was a 3D printing hero until I tried ABS :(

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
loiphin

Thought I was a 3D printing hero until I tried ABS :(

Post by loiphin » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:27 pm

So I have had my M2 for a couple of weeks and been printing great quality pieces in PLA. And then I tried ABS :( I would like to print a new extruder with a tighter throat ( http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:717414 ) for some TPE printing later on.

So I printed it in ABS as per instructions on the site, with ABS at 235 degrees and bed at 110 degrees using Simplify3D high quality setting (with infill bumped up to 80%).

And it came out like crap :( My guess is bed is way too hot , by looking at it. The top of the part in the picture was resting on the glass plate (with hairspray).

Any tips welcomed :)

loiphin

http://i.imgur.com/e0s2gmB.jpg

loiphin

Re: Thought I was a 3D printing hero until I tried ABS :(

Post by loiphin » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:39 pm

UPDATE:

Doing another print, and the main culprit is definitely the 80% infill. Running it at 30% with High Quality settings in S3D and it's looking very tidy so far. Reduced the bed temperature to 90 degrees as well, but not required for this issue. Will update when fully printed.

UPDATE2:

http://i.imgur.com/M6uyz9c.jpg

Printing is great and all is good in the world :)

UPDATE 3:

I think I was hiding the actual problem when I did this print originally. It looked like crap with a high infill, but that was because of over extrusion. So when I reduced the infill, it helped but the root cause is over extrusion. After printing a bunch of 20mm test cubes I found that my extrusion multiplier should have been set to 0.95 ,and it was defaulting in S3D (for M2's printing ABS) to 1.1!!! So thats quite a difference.
Last edited by loiphin on Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:37 pm

You can still be a PETg printing hero. . .

PcS

Post by PcS » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Let us know how.it.turns out.

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:48 am

i generally print abs with a bed temp at 90 deg. i have found that when you get up in the 100-110 deg range when using hairspray and abs, the spray gets too soft and the abs will pull up off it. abs has alot of pulling force. i always print my filament drives at 80-90% and your right it can be tough. at 90deg i can get an ever so slight curl at the corners. at 100-110 it would warp bad.

loiphin

Post by loiphin » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:05 am

Hi all,

Print turned out beautifully. http://i.imgur.com/M6uyz9c.jpg I forgot to mention I also played with the support settings a bit as the supports seemed a bit too aggressive and really stuck to the original print.

The question is how long will it last as a filament drive in my M2, when its printed with a 30% infill? Not sure I could ever do a 80-90% infill as it turns to mush??

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:44 pm

I think the stock one is around 25-30%. If you print one at 80-90 it shouldnt get heat soaked like pla would. Each layer should have enough cooling time. All you need is about 20-25% support density.

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:45 pm

loiphin wrote:Hi all,

Print turned out beautifully. http://i.imgur.com/M6uyz9c.jpg I forgot to mention I also played with the support settings a bit as the supports seemed a bit too aggressive and really stuck to the original print.

The question is how long will it last as a filament drive in my M2, when its printed with a 30% infill? Not sure I could ever do a 80-90% infill as it turns to mush??
That is beautiful, and thanks for posting that link - I'm going to try one of those in PETG cause I've got a roll of flexible stuff coming. :D
(Heck, one of these days i might even get around trying to print that spool of ABS that i got at the start.)

insta

Post by insta » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:49 pm

dammit jules put the abs goop on some kapton and print with that spool of ABS
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:15 pm

insta wrote:dammit jules put the abs goop on some kapton and print with that spool of ABS
But i hate starting over again, knowing nothing, the struggle, having to adjust it for Zebra printing since i am NOT going to reset that stinking Z-stop again, making thousands of post-its worth of notes again.....

(want a little whine with that dinner.....? :lol:)

Geez, just figuring out PETG here.......let me enjoy actually feeling comfortable for at least a minute or two! :lol:

Before i tackle ABS - I was thinking of rigging a second Zebra plate with a Kapton cover, so i can use the juice to stick it at the lower Zebra temps. I'm hoping (and it might be crazy wishful thinking) that there might be less warping/splitting if we can print the ABS at a slightly lower temp, so that there is less temperature differential as it cools. It might work for very small prints, but it sounds like ABS needs the strength of a metal plate to keep from warping up, if you print bigger items.

It's worth experimenting with, but i need more time....there's never enough time to do everything i want to try. :roll: