Thought I was a 3D printing hero until I tried ABS :(

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
lem

Re: Thought I was a 3D printing hero until I tried ABS :(

Post by lem » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:20 pm

I have only printed with ABS. The devil you know------ something like that.

Anyway, I'm currently printing on a different brand printer that is enclosed. One thing that I have done to help with the warping issue is to design tabs on the side of my projects that have a long flat run of material so that as the first few layers complete I pause the print and then put clamps/clips on the tabs to hold them down and then resume the print. Doesn't always work, but many times it does.

(I did break down and buy some PETG to try - just haven't done it yet. Think I'll run a contest with Jules to see who can hold out the longest. Me PETG, Jules ABS :) )

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:31 pm

lem wrote:...One thing that I have done to help with the warping issue is to design tabs on the side of my projects that have a long flat run of material so that as the first few layers complete I pause the print and then put clamps/clips on the tabs to hold them down and then resume the print. Doesn't always work, but many times it does....
Huh! That is pure genius! Just design the solution into your file in the first place! :D

The warping (and the smell) is one of the reasons i decided I'd better explore the PETG first, not for me, but hubs can't stand strong smells of any kind. (Haven't worn perfume in years.)

I'm going to get around to testing it one of these days when he goes off on one of his longer business trips/boondoggles. (Yes, we know. 8-) ) It's probably not going to be nearly as bad as i think.

loiphin

Post by loiphin » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:46 am

UPDATE 3:

I think I was hiding the actual problem when I did this print originally. It looked like crap with a high infill, but that was because of over extrusion. So when I reduced the infill, it helped but the root cause is over extrusion. After printing a bunch of 20mm test cubes I found that my extrusion multiplier should have been set to 0.95 ,and it was defaulting in S3D (for M2's printing ABS) to 1.1!!! So thats quite a difference.

loiphin.