initial problems

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
chriso

initial problems

Post by chriso » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:04 pm

Hi

i have printed a few parts with my new m2 and started to play with the bed leveling out of curiosity and accidentally rammed one of the clips with the hotend (i know what your thinking what a dick and i agree) i have since not been able to print. The filament extrudes ok when i test it but when it comes to printing it seems to wrap around the hot end in true birds nest fashion. Looking at it closer it appears the filament is coming out of 2 places is this normal.

Thanks in advance

Chris

jimc

Re: initial problems

Post by jimc » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:32 pm

Filament coming out of 2 places is not normal. If the nozzle is extruding in the air ok but curls up when you print then that is an indication the bed gap is wrong and prob too big.

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:37 pm

First, running the nozzle into a clip is not a sign that you're an idiot, or else we're pretty much all idiots here.

Second, while running the nozzle into the clip usually doesn't damage anything, there is one report on this forum of a nozzle that was damaged beyond repair by the experience.

However, before calling your nozzle totaled, you should make sure you're not looking at a simple clog. "The filament is coming out of 2 places" is definitely not normal---something's blocking it---but the question is whether it's getting blocked by a bit of plastic that got stuck in the nozzle, or whether the opening in the nozzle got warped by the collision. If it's the former, you can try unblocking it by fishing a wire up into the nozzle. You can also try heating up the nozzle to high temperature (250) if you were printing with PLA, and see if you can burn it out. If it's the latter, you're going to have to get yourself a new nozzle (fortunately, the nozzle itself isn't expensive).

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:32 pm

Agreed, agreed, agreed....if we were idiots for catching those clips i'd be an idiot a dozen times over. :lol:

It likely is either the bed gap or a tiny bit of plastic clogging the nozzle, like jim and tim said...Those are the most likely culprits, but i'm going to toss in a third possibility based on what you said you were doing at the time -

You said you were playing with your bed level.....it might now be out of level.

So check the other things first, but keep in mind the level might also be a possibility.

chriso

Post by chriso » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:27 am

Thanks for the responses everyone.