Just got my printer -- Motors will not work

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
Tim

Re: Just got my printer -- Motors will not work

Post by Tim » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:57 am

Jules wrote:Or drop 50 bucks on a Zebra plate and you're good to go. (PLA up to PETG) Best accessory so far for this spectaculous little machine! :D
Well, yeah, but that's the point. . . that's a user modification, which is easy to do on the M2. But at the moment the people making specialized bed plates and the people making printers are not the same; in particular, these little specialized companies making components are hard to predict the future of. MakerGear had problems with their supply chain a couple of years ago, when I bought my M2 (a number of 3D printer companies were having supply chain problems), leading to lengthy wait times on orders. They need to trust their suppliers, and so I doubt they will be shipping M2s with Zebra plates any time soon. It has a lot to do with how good businesses are run, and relatively little to do with how good a Zebra plate is.

I will agree, though, that the Zebra plate has been probably the simplest modification I've made to the printer. I just took off the glass and put on the Zebra plate, and my can of hairspray has been sitting on the desk gathering dust ever since.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:13 am

Tim wrote:......I will agree, though, that the Zebra plate has been probably the simplest modification I've made to the printer. I just took off the glass and put on the Zebra plate, and my can of hairspray has been sitting on the desk gathering dust ever since.
Mine too. :D

nirfriedman

Post by nirfriedman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:45 pm

ok so a good night sleep and thorough review of all the connections revealed the problem - the power plug (from the power supply) was partially pulled out, and so some components had power while others did not. The printer is now finishing the first test print and seems to be doing well.

So, my first foray into this forum ended with an embarrassment. (self-mocking icon)

Few questions.

1. This machine is NOISY, with a lot of high-pitched "whines" when it prints (on top of the fan noise). Is this normal??

2. I'd would have appreciated somewhat less cryptic manual for the machine. Any good resources (other than the 4-5 instructional MakeGear videos)?

Thanks!

nirfriedman

Post by nirfriedman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:08 pm

I didn't mean to start yet another discussion of surfaces or open vs close architectures.

I do appreciate the ability to modify the printer. However, the responses here suggested that the user experience is consequence of the open nature of the system. I believe that the two are not necessarily inconsistent, and that the community has to mature. I forked a large amount of $$ to buy a machine. With it came three different notes saying "the machine works, do not modify it, call us instead". If that is the attitude of the company when they sell an assembled machine, than it should provide the complete package. Some of the hardware companies have little software skills (which is a shame) but MakerGear actually has its own software development (which I paid extra to get).

So yes, I expect to get a machine with a proper on/off switch, with a light that let me know if it is working, with a normal user-end power plug (not a plug intended for use inside an enclosure), and with minimal FAQ for solving common problems, and with a test sequence that checks every standard feature. Yeah, I know I can build/program all these things, and I might. But actually I am interested in using the printer to solve the design problems I want to deal with, not just messing with the printer. I think this where the community has to grow up, not everyone who has a printer wants to mod it forever. Yes, I want expandability and ability to buy/implement mods, but mainly I want to print things.
Tim wrote: Well, yeah, but that's the point. . . that's a user modification, which is easy to do on the M2. But at the moment the people making specialized bed plates and the people making printers are not the same;
The same argument could have been made regarding other critical components (motors, hot ends, etc). If the printing surface is crucial to make this machine useful, than it is the business of the printer maker to establish proper solution/supply chain.

ok. enough complaining, I have a brand new toy to play with... :-)

lem

Post by lem » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:41 pm

With it came three different notes saying "the machine works, do not modify it, call us instead". If that is the attitude of the company when they sell an assembled machine, than it should provide the complete package
Really? That doesn't sound like the Makergear described on this forum.

I guess the bottom line is that the M2 is their product they can do whatever they want to do with it and as long as people keep buying them ---- why not?

I'm still planning on buying one, but it's because I know that I can modify it to better fit my needs.

nirfriedman

Post by nirfriedman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:05 pm

One of the notes that was attached to the printer
IMG_2062.JPG
(473.45 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
BTW, they also sold me the dual-extruder kit, so I am going to modify it :-) Anyhow, this is a really good printer so far, so for now I would recommend it (I bought after major study of the options).

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:03 pm

nirfriedman wrote:1. This machine is NOISY, with a lot of high-pitched "whines" when it prints (on top of the fan noise). Is this normal??
Yes, this is normal. See the recent forum post on the "nema 17 dampers", which (according to the people who got them) reduces the whine to levels well below the fan noise. They simply install between each motor and the plate it's attached to. Particularly if your M2 sits on a desk close to where you work (mine does), then the whine can be a real distraction in a way that the white noise from the fans isn't.

I have seen several reviews cite the M2 as being noisy, but I haven't noticed that it is obviously more noisy than any other 3D printer I've seen. Clearly, if you have the printer in an enclosure and insulate it well, you can cut down sharply on the noise. I'm not aware that any manufacturers are using the dampers, but I could be wrong.

Presumably you could just design and print a simple sound-absorbing enclosure for each of the X and Y motors, but the dampers sound like they work so well that it seems pointless to go to the trouble of doing anything else.

insta

Post by insta » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:19 pm

nirfriedman wrote:One of the notes that was attached to the printer
IMG_2062.JPG
BTW, they also sold me the dual-extruder kit, so I am going to modify it :-) Anyhow, this is a really good printer so far, so for now I would recommend it (I bought after major study of the options).
That note is more of a "if your machine doesn't work, it got broken in shipping or is hooked up incorrectly ... let us help you figure out whats wrong before you start blindly replacing components". It's absolutely not meant as a "don't modify your machine". MakerGear has been very supportive (and tolerant...) of me modifying my machines and still providing support on them.

I know what you mean about the comment with "the machine should have an easy power plug and an easy switch", and it sort of does. Several concessions were made in the open-frame design and use of common hardware. The Ultimachine RAMBo electronics MakerGear uses are what dictates that weird 6-pin plug, and to be honest I'm glad they do -- I'd rather have Ultimachine designing common electronics and MakerGear focusing on the mechanicals. They don't need to stretch themselves too thin trying to solve a problem that doesn't really exist.

The machine draws entirely too much power to use any standard wall-wart supply, so an external supply is required. If you can find a way to stuff a 24v @ 20A supply onto the frame, keep it insulated and isolated, not interfere with the mechanicals, and still be easily replaceable -- I'm sure MG would take note :) They certainly won't prevent you from doing it.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

nirfriedman

Post by nirfriedman » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:54 pm

Tim wrote: Presumably you could just design and print a simple sound-absorbing enclosure for each of the X and Y motors, but the dampers sound like they work so well that it seems pointless to go to the trouble of doing anything else.
Thanks! Dampers are on their way to me. What do you mean sound-absorbing enclosure, wouldn't that lead to heating issues?