M2 Dimensions - preparing for getting the printer

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
Sebastian

M2 Dimensions - preparing for getting the printer

Post by Sebastian » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:51 pm

Hello together,
I'm new to this forum and very close to buying a M2. On the manufacturer's website, I can find every technical detail I can imagine, expect the external dimensions. Maybe not that important for most users, but my home is not that big and I have to find a nice place for it where the two cats of my girlfriend can't reach it :mrgreen:

So maybe one of you can tell me ther external dimensions (maybe including the spool holder)?

I'm interested in 3D prints since I read about the rise of the RepRaps years ago. Then they bought a 3D Printer (German RepRap Pro) in the factory where I'm working and after playing a little bit with it, finaly I need a own one ;)

jimc

Re: M2 Dimensions - preparing for getting the printer

Post by jimc » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:17 pm

actual width of the machine is 18", height you need about 21" with the loop of the teflon feed tube sticking up. you should have about 24" of clearance front to back for movement of the bed and heated build plate harness loop out the back of the machine.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:38 pm

The width of the machine with the spool on it is about 18 inches like jim said, but don't forget to factor in another 5-7 inches or so, width-wise, to let you change out the spool.
(I have to keep moving mine back and forth because of another printer that sits a little too close.) :D

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:50 pm

Attach a laser pointer to the print head to keep the cats occupied while the printer is running.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:00 pm

Scares my poor cats out of the room generally - they do not like objects that move around without legs. :lol:

SouthSideofdaSky

Post by SouthSideofdaSky » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:36 pm

In addition to what others have said, there is a power supply box for the M2 that measures about 5" x 12" which you may or may not want to take into account. I have mine on the table next to the spool holder. The entire thing (printer + power supply) is housed in a plexiglass enclosure that is 27" wide x 26" deep x 21" tall.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:02 pm

Thanks for your fast anwers! I expeted it to be around that large.. Let's see if I can find a nice place for it.

The cats are also hunting my very smal indoor quadcopter, sometimes with success so they may be not that afraid of it. If I'm not careful, they may think it's a nice heatable place to sleep on :twisted: :D

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:58 pm

Been there, done that -- at least jimc has! Not sure if this like will work for you all or not.... from the old MG google group:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searc ... Do-G6vDwcJ

Hit the link, then scroll up to the first post and open the picture attached. Jim, I have this in my PPS that I use at STEM events -- people are AMAZED at the print quality you have!
HA!

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:45 pm

A clone machine :lol: Very nice ^^

My M2 will end up behind (removalbe) acrylic glas, i like the cats, but not THAT much ;) At least if I manage to order one - the system says it can't find a shipping option to germany. Sent a mail to the "dad" of M2's.

Edit: No shipping to Germany :shock: :cry: Thats realy bad news.. Let's see if Ultimaker can fill the gap on my desk now :(

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:31 am

Can they ship you a kit? My guess your government would rather you buy German. Your country is one of the few in the EU that has any money. Thanks to some smart people in charge.
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router