Help with infill settings

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
naturalstate720

Help with infill settings

Post by naturalstate720 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:32 pm

I'm a little confused as to why my models aren't fully printing infill. At one point I was printing them fine w/ infill, but guess somewhere along the way I've messed up the settings.

I've attached a screenshot of my infill settings. I want to have infill printed throughout the entire hollow space. It starts to print infill for the first few layers after the base. I tried the honeycomb for the first time on this attached image, but then it goes back over the honeycomb with a solid layer. How can I just have honeycomb all the way throughout the model?

Any help please?
Attachments
infill.png
20151110_113603.jpg

naturalstate720

Re: Help with infill settings

Post by naturalstate720 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:34 pm

I've also had that last checkbox checked and it did'n't make a difference, the "print infill on every layer"

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:20 pm

That top solid layer is not infill, it's a top solid layer. If you want the infill to show (as in the honeycomb is visible on the outside) set your number of top layers to zero.

naturalstate720

Post by naturalstate720 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:44 pm

I may be confused with the lingo here.
I don't see anything called "top solid layer" in the infill settings. Are you referring to the "top solid layer" in the "Layers" Tab?

Just to be clear, this was going to be a building. I stopped the print bc it wasn't printing infill the way I needed it to. It doesn't seem to be printing any infill. It was going to be hollow and the bridging isn't working good enough to close the gap when it gets to the roof of the building. So I had assumed no infill was being printed and this simply printed the "Bottom Solid Layer" which I have set to 3. I have the "Top Solid layer" also set to 3. I had assumed that the "Top solid layer" is referring to the roof area of my building, the top part. So I'm confused as to to what the "top solid layer" has to do w/ my print right now, since I stopped it very early in the process.

I don't want the infill to be visible. I want it for structural purposes inside the model. I just want some kind of infill printed, but none is being printed. What settings can I do to make the infill come back?

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:54 pm

Yes, the top solid layers are set in the Layers tab.

But you're not wanting infill, you're wanting Support.

The support tab allows you to fill up an empty space when there is nothing underneath a bridging area. Just turn that on and it will automatically generate. (Or you can generate it manually.)

naturalstate720

Post by naturalstate720 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:03 pm

Ok yeah I guess I can just use the support. But I'd still like to know how to infill this model. What settings do I have to change to make the hollow part filled in? At one point I was using a very low infill setting and it was was just making 45 degree lines that were very quick and didn't use a lot of filament. It seems like the supports would use more and take longer.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:16 pm

That is support, you just tell it which direction you want the lines to go (I use 45 and -45) under the Angles section on that page.

naturalstate720

Post by naturalstate720 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:53 am

I've generated support for the inside before. I deleted them all and the inside was still filled with infill. It was a 45 degree pattern. The support isn't 45 degrees right? It's a back and forth straight line with curve to going 180 the other way.

Or are you saying the 45 degrees and honeycomb are also supports? I just want to try and figure out how to get back to the 45 degree pattern inside. Seemed much quicker than the back and forth supports that seem to get knocked over easy.

naturalstate720

Post by naturalstate720 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:58 am

I also thought it was called infill, because when I lowered the percentage of infill on the main infill slider from 90% down to 30% the 45 degree pattern inside was drastically reduced. Guess I misunderstand.

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:20 am

I don't entirely understand what's going on in this thread, but it sounds like there's some confusion between infill and support.

When you design a model, anything on the solid inside of a model will be infilled. In order to print some parts, you may need support, which is like infill that goes on the outside of a model, that is intended to later be removed after the print is finished.

If you model an actual hollow box with thin walls, the interior space on the "inside" is actually outside the model proper, so won't be infilled. If you want a solid box with an infilled interior, you would model it as an actual solid box. If you don't want to do that and fill in the inside anyway, then you need to generate support inside the box which will never be removed.