Problem prints HELP

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
747skys

Problem prints HELP

Post by 747skys » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:46 am

Hi Everyone,

I've had my new M2 for a short 2 weeks and although every print was working out pretty good, I'm having some serious problems with this print:
print-1a.jpg
As shown, there are voids and missing areas and I've tried several times now and mostly the same thing happens. I've tried using more supports
top-2a.jpg
and not much better. I also tried slowing the speed down considerably as I hear the nozzle seem to be hitting some of the edges of the part
or supports.
top-1a.jpg
This is what the final is supposed to look like.

Any suggestions and help would be appreciated.

Ken

Jules

Re: Problem prints HELP

Post by Jules » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:20 pm

Anybody would have trouble with that particular print. It's just a very difficult design for any single nozzle 3D printer to handle, because of the shape.

Couple of things you could try to improve it.

1. Remove the fan guard on the Bed Fan. (the lower one)

The reason it's hitting, and getting knocked out of step, is the PLA is warping up as it cools. Cooling it off faster helps with that, and taking off the fan guard on the back of the fan really bumps up the cooling power.

2. Point a small fan at the back of the print, if you've got one. (I use a little desk fan.)

3. Add a little hop (Retraction Vertical Lift) to the code, so that it jumps over any warping. (I use 0.2 mm)

4. Slow it down even more. Printing and travel speeds.

PcS

Post by PcS » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:05 pm

I would try it without supports. Or maybe some just in the center solid dome area. Definitely want z hop as Jules mentioned.

747skys

Post by 747skys » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:23 am

Hey thanks a lot.
As a newbie could you explain a bit more on the Z hop. Not sure where to find that tweak in Simplify3D.

Thanks all ! :)