3DBenchy Test Print – would welcome some feedback

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
willnewton

Re: 3DBenchy Test Print – would welcome some feedback

Post by willnewton » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:55 pm

This thread made me want to print my own 3dBenchy, as I have never tried it before. I also printed it using the rsilver profiles, as well as my own settings. The rsilvers profile really does leave a great surface finish, at the expense of a little time. I printed mine in PLA at .20mm layer height. I have had my M2 about a 1.5 years or so and have done little maintenance other than a little oil here and there, plus the occasional clog.

Basically, it came out as close to spec as I need it to be. Most of my dimensions were undersized by about .25 mm which could just be from shrinkage. I can live with that.

I do have some of the same "holes" in the surface NickN had, but now that I see how tiny (~.20mm) they are in an actual print vs. how they appear in a close-up photo I am not going to lose a lot of sleep over it. After watching the print run, I can see that they come from the print head making an X-shaped crossing as it moves from the inner wall pass to the outer wall pass and returning inward to make the fill passes, similar to changing lanes while driving down the road.

So, is it a retraction/wipe/coast issue? Maaaaaaaybe, but after trying it myself, it is going to involve VERY small changes (possibly sub-mm) in the settings to get a slight improvement. I still have my very first Bigfoot head print from the M2 (it was my first "real" print after some basic setup test prints), and even at the stock factory settings, these wall "lane change" holes are there. I never really worried about such a small detail before, as most of my prints are made for utility rather than being pretty at the macro photo level, but I am happy to have put my machine to the test.

And yes, the stair stepping is quite evident in the shallow angles, such as the roof, but I am used to the way a filament print looks and it is within my expectations.

So Nick, after trying it myself, other than your dimensional issues that may be due to greater ABS shrinkage rate, I think your print is looking pretty good!
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:55 pm

In picture 1, I taped a needle onto the Benchy. The needle near the point is ~0.18 mm for scale.
In picture 2, you see the Benchy at arms length with my M2 for scale.
In picture 3, I positioned the Benchy to produce a shot that enhanced the layers and stair steps. It's not a pleasant pic, as EVERYTHING shows up, but that was the point.
benchyhole.jpg
What the camera sees.
benchym2.jpg
What the eye sees.
benchyharsh.jpg
Picture to show stair stepping
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

PcS

Post by PcS » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:28 pm

Nice !!! I printed that once in a place a long time ago and in a distant galaxy...and the force was not with me !!! Might have to give this a go again !!!