Two new problems after 3 months of no printing

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
jimc

Re: Two new problems after 3 months of no printing

Post by jimc » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:46 pm

I have been running 10 for a very long time and really love it. The only issue i have had in all this time is the usb freeze problem. Other than that its very nice.

Jules

Re: Windows 10 Problems

Post by Jules » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:38 pm

I had signed up for the Windows 10 switch, but then got quite PO'd at the hard push they were making to switch everyone to it. It was worse than any malware I'd ever seen, popping up to remind me to install all the time, and i don't appreciate that. (They did some really sneaky stuff too - like hiding their advertising junk in an "Important" update for a while, until they got called on it.)

Add to that, i knew there would be problems with a lot of the software i have (not just for the printer, but all those cutters too) and i decided to remove the Win10 upgrade that i had downloaded to both computers, but only installed on the older test computer.

Getting all the crap they loaded into my machines off of them, took a couple weeks, and a lot of research. But this is the real killer - in Windows 10, you have no choice on whether you will accept one of their security updates - they will load it on whether you want it or not. They have that much control over your computer. And given Microsoft's track record for rolling out bad updates that crash systems, that was not something i was going to ignore. Their first Win10 update locked up the test computer completely, and I had to re-install the old OS from an image that (thank God) i had thought to take right before installing 10.

In very legalese language, they tell you right up front in the Agreement for the Win10 software that they are going to root through your system looking for illegal copies of their software, (and whatever else they want to do, basically). And you better believe they did it, and are doing it now. They actually nabbed my dad, who does NOT pirate software, but who made the mistake of hiring a local IT guy to fix his computer once and that guy had apparently loaded an unlicensed copy of the XP OS on an old backup computer years ago, instead of fixing his licensed copy. Dad's certainly not going to know, he's just about computer illiterate. He only uses it to check his emails and read jokes his friends send him, and maybe watch a few YouTube vids of the grandkids. Nevertheless, it's extremely important to him to be able to do that. Now, unless he buys another license for it, he can't use that computer. It just freezes the computer and it won't open up. (And he lives too far away for me to pop over and fix it for him.)

Worst, they actually tried (and mostly succeeded, I assume) in sneaking a lot of that monitoring ability into the Windows 8.1, 8.0, 7.0, Vista and XP systems as well, through recent updates. They didn't call it that of course, they named it something else. If you had Auto-Updates turned on, you're now being monitored.

I'm too old-school for that to be comfortable. (Although i do know that it doesn't bother most people nowadays.)

So for me, (even with Win 8.1), each update that Microsoft sends out gets stopped, reviewed closely, and monitored for a month (at least) before I'll allow it to be installed. (And all those questionable ones got yanked.) Real PITA. I no longer trust them.

I will never use Windows 10, or buy another Microsoft product. With this latest stunt, Microsoft finally succeeded in killing the last smidgen of faith that i still had in them. Apple products are no better - they want complete control over your apps unless you jailbreak the machines, and that's just not worth the hassle. The more these two mega-giants try to control everything, (just to increase their ability to sell me shit that i don't want), the more opportunities there are going to be for them to EFF it up royally.

I suppose it's going to be amusing to watch.

Linux, here i come. (sigh) :geek:

***Turns out i had bookmarked a couple of the articles that outline the target monitoring updates, if anyone else wants to take them off of your machines as well.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/80373 ... r-data.htm

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2978239/ ... storm.html

And Windows 10 users don't have to put up with it either:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2971725/ ... piece.html

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:31 am

Believe me if i could go straight up linux i would. It would make things simple for me just having one computer and os to mess with but unfortunately very few programs run on linux. I am stuck having a pc with win10 to do cad work on and a few other things. I have my mac which is my daily computer. I do like osx better than windows though. Everything just works smoother. All the snooping apple, microsoft, google and every other company does to target ads to you unfortunately is just modern computing and the way it is. Your not going to get around it. We are just currently in that era where its changing to that and its freaking people out.

Rara

Post by Rara » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:17 am

The fact that you can STILL get brand new computers shipped with Windows 7 as an extra cost option says everything.

A Windows 8 laptop may or may not have met its demise by my hands at around 4:15 one morning after I had been up all night trying to get a job done (not 3D printing related). I had never liked it but between the connectivity issues and all the gesture, hotspot, hidden menu nonsense constantly throwing me for a loop, but when it started costing me money via lost time and wasted materials on top of frustration..it found itself between a concrete floor and my mini-sledge. The, "Oh my god, what have I done?!" never came. The fact that I'm not rolling in dough and could have sold it for a few hundred dollars has never haunted me. Totally worth it. It caught on fire and everything..! :twisted:
2012 M2 V4-PTFE

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:29 am

All the snooping apple, microsoft, google and every other company does to target ads to you unfortunately is just modern computing and the way it is. Your not going to get around it.
Sad, but true.

Thing that bugs me isn't the targeted ads, which are creepy, but generally benign....it's everything else they are harvesting without telling you about it. If you read the follow through link on that last article (Ars Technica) you'll see that they are currently hiding the truth of what they are collecting. I don't like people (or companies) who try to hide what they are doing, even when directly confronted about it.

I know they're sitting back and telling themselves it's for our own good, and that they can keep better control over things like new viruses and malware than the paid softwares do, but the worst catastrophes generally follow the best intentions. (I'd also bet any amount of money that a lot of unfriendly interests are at this very moment trying to get in there and get their hands on those hooks.)

It was a lot easier to use computers for actual computing before the internet. I think eventually i will wind up doing exactly what you're doing.....the socializing and calculating systems just need to be separated again. :(
Totally worth it. It caught on fire and everything..! :twisted:
And i wish i could have seen that! :lol:

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:35 am

i certainly agree jules. now the flaming laptop would be something to see :lol:

rara, that windows 7 to 8 change was a big nightmare for sure. i never saw 8 and went to 8.1. it took a whole day of going through it and trying to figure out how to get it back to something that resembled windows. once i did that it was actually quite nice but i cant imagine the loss in time for people using their pc for business. i would consider myself quite computer savy as well. most people i could see just going into meltdown mode on that.

buy we hijacked this poor guy's thread all to hell