Z Offset "Theory"

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
Slipshine

Re: Z Offset "Theory"

Post by Slipshine » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:07 pm

since z offset has been a big topic lately. How often are people having to adjust the z offset. I have only had to adjust mine after working on it. About 5 times since I got it in 2012.

Jules

Re: Z Offset "Theory"

Post by Jules » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:12 pm

Slipshine wrote:since z offset has been a big topic lately. How often are people having to adjust the z offset. I have only had to adjust mine after working on it. About 5 times since I got it in 2012.
(I might not be the best person to answer this - I tend to want to try everything out before deciding what works best for what. :D )

I've had to set the Z-stop 4 times now in almost a year of ownership - basically every time i switched to a different plate or surface. (Plain glass, Kapton on glass, Zebra plate, PEI on glass.) And I'll have to set it again when the MIC6 and Steel plates come in that I want to test.

So far, I like all of the surfaces really - but I tend to prefer the ones that don't require adhesive. And setting the Z-stop is so much easier with the V-4 nozzles that it's not even a problem anymore.

In the beginning, I was calibrating the Z-Offset for every spool of filament i own. (3 dozen at last count. Gobs of profiles saved. It took a while. :lol: ) But after switching to the dual, I realized that was overkill. You really just need one Z-Offset number for each type of filament, not each spool, because the different printing temperatures of the filaments showed the greatest impact on what happened to the gap.

The Z-Offset part I've literally done hundreds of times, through testing all of those spools on all of the different plates. (it was a good learning experience, but it's soooooo not necessary.) :roll: