Getting started 2 questions

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
psd

Getting started 2 questions

Post by psd » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:31 pm

Hello all, I just purchased an M2 assembled and Simplify3D software.
I have already set up the machine using the quick set up app and my macbook pro attached to the M2 through USB cable.

Now I took the computer back to my workstation and ran a model of my own through the Simplify3D program and saved to SD card.

Can I send a print directly from the SD card without having my computer hooked up to machine with USB?
Or must I always connect computer to machine?

Also what is shut down procedure? Do I just turn off the power on the transformer?

Do I need to eject the filament or leave it in the extruder?

thanks!
- peter,

innovative product designer and tinkerer

www.petersolomondesign.com

insta

Re: Getting started 2 questions

Post by insta » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:56 am

If you buy a fancy-schmancy Viki controller (ahem I know a guy), you can print completely untethered. Otherwise, you print via USB. You can use the Machine Control Panel in Simplify3D to select files on the SD card, or you can send GCode commands directly to the printer.

I generally put a filament retract in my ending GCode so it pulls 10mm of plastic out of the hotend. It's pretty straightforward, and lets you keep the plastic loaded while still allowing for you to manually tug it from the cold extruder later (since it's not cemented into the hotend).

Code: Select all

G92 E0
G1 E-10 F3000
As for the third of your two questions ;), you can either leave the machine on (it doesn't draw all that much just sitting there), or flip the switch on the power supply to shut it down entirely.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

psd

Post by psd » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:16 am

thank you Insta,
very helpful.

Is the Viki controller the same as the LCD panel that Makergear sells for $99?
Is it a nice feature? Does one or the other work efficiently and allow you to bypass the computer.

since I keep my 3D printer in the back room, its a pain to bring my computer back overtime to print (especially since at my workstation it is hooked up to a monitor and various devices)

Thanks for the filament retracting code. Hope I can figure out how to put that into the code.... I am just now learning simplify3d

thanks again.
Peter
- peter,

insta

Post by insta » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:11 am

psd wrote:thank you Insta,
very helpful.

Is the Viki controller the same as the LCD panel that Makergear sells for $99?
Is it a nice feature? Does one or the other work efficiently and allow you to bypass the computer.

since I keep my 3D printer in the back room, its a pain to bring my computer back overtime to print (especially since at my workstation it is hooked up to a monitor and various devices)

Thanks for the filament retracting code. Hope I can figure out how to put that into the code.... I am just now learning simplify3d

thanks again.
Peter
Either the new Viki, or the old Viki (the ones I have for sale in the "Used gear" forum) will work, as will Octoprint. Definitely look into any of those instead of moving computers around.

psd

Post by psd » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:31 am

thanks again Insta,

but is the Viki the same as the LCD display that MakerGear sells? or different?
How are they different if so?
Which is better?

Which is easy to learn and intuitive?

thanks
- peter,

PcS

Post by PcS » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:02 pm

Having had a Viki and using the new controller. Both are tedious at best. October print is IMHO the best way to control any printer especially if they are in different rooms and you would like to be able to monitor it remotely while at home on the WiFi or out for a night on the town. I find the lcd very reliable but the user interface is too low Tech and slow. Takes me too long to fumble through menus trying to remember which sub menu is where. Octoprint is dead simple fast and works beautifully. And is very low cost.

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:49 pm

The simple answer is yes, get the LCD and print off the SD card. Unless its a simple little file I just print that via USB. I use my computer to do pre-print functions and then select Print from SD and then after the print starts and is running ok, disconnect the computer. You do need to Save the file to your SD card from your computer after getting the slicing and process settings done.

If your using PETG you can do what I do, just leave it in the machine and its ready for the next time. The rest of the filaments will pick up moisture, so remove and store in a bag with desiccant.
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router

Vandal968

Post by Vandal968 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:41 pm

insta wrote:I generally put a filament retract in my ending GCode so it pulls 10mm of plastic out of the hotend. It's pretty straightforward, and lets you keep the plastic loaded while still allowing for you to manually tug it from the cold extruder later (since it's not cemented into the hotend).

G92 E0
G1 E-10 F3000
Very clever! When you cold-pull later, is it pulling crud out of the nozzle?

cheers,
c

insta

Post by insta » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:41 am

Vandal968 wrote:
insta wrote:I generally put a filament retract in my ending GCode so it pulls 10mm of plastic out of the hotend. It's pretty straightforward, and lets you keep the plastic loaded while still allowing for you to manually tug it from the cold extruder later (since it's not cemented into the hotend).

G92 E0
G1 E-10 F3000
Very clever! When you cold-pull later, is it pulling crud out of the nozzle?

cheers,
c
I don't cold pull. I just purge and blowtorch as needed. V4 FTW!

psd

Post by psd » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:46 am

Hello Insta,
regarding your retract code, where do I add this and how?

If I look at my end script from within simplify3d it says:
M104 S0 ; turn off extruder
M140 S0 ; turn off bed
G91 ; relative mode
G1 Z10 ; lift 10mm
G90 ; absolute mode
G28 X0 ; home X axis
M84 ; disable motors

where would I insert your code?
thanks!
- peter,