Total beginner question about PLA

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
no3dprintexperience

Total beginner question about PLA

Post by no3dprintexperience » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:15 am

Hi everyone, I know nothing about anything and looking to dive in head-first as part of a small business idea that I have. I am looking at the M2, probably adding an E3D Kraken for 4 extruders. My design needs to be able to fold in two locations to form a fastener (think like how a cheap, plastic, little girl's hair barrette folds over to snap shut). Is it possible at all that I could print PLA thin enough to do that? It doesn't need to fold and unfold, just be pliable enough for me to bend it once. I thought it would be simple working with plastic, but my reading up on it now sounds like PLA is too brittle for this. I don't think ABS has the print finish quality I need. Thanks in advance for your input!

Jules

Re: Total beginner question about PLA

Post by Jules » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:35 am

Depends on what you are trying to hold together with it. There's a way to make PLA bend (example of the technique below) but it's not terribly strong. Basically have to keep parts of it at a couple of layers thick.

(The lids on the roll-top boxes)
rolltop.JPG
Might be better off trying one of the flex filaments. :)

Slipshine

Post by Slipshine » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:47 am

You could also try esun pla +
It is 4 times more flexible than regular pla

insta

Post by insta » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:16 am

Not being a dick here (but it'll sound that way), but you are WAY ahead of yourself. Get the M2, get some ABS & BuildTak, try a few things out. You'll never end up with the kraken on the machine. It's completely impractical for many reasons. PLA will bend however you need it to if it's heated. ABS prints as nicely as PLA does.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

no3dprintexperience

Post by no3dprintexperience » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:35 pm

Not a dick at all, I know for sure I am getting way ahead of myself. I just have this amazing idea and need to figure out the mechanical pieces to make it actually happen.

All these ideas are great, I will check them all out. Thanks!