S3D virtual machine does not match M2 Bed

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
Kirk.AIA

S3D virtual machine does not match M2 Bed

Post by Kirk.AIA » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:51 am

So I created a rectangular model that just about fills up the virtual machine bed in S3D. But when I try to print it the top edge of my M2 printer bed does not travel all the way to the nozzle in the Y-axis. You can see that the top horizontal line of plastic is extruded about 3 inches short of the top edge of the glass. That's as far down as the bed will travel.

I can move the bed down with the S3D jog controls until the nozzle is slightly beyond the top edge of the glass on the M2, but when I run the print of the model, the M2 bed just won't move down far enough.
Shouldn't the bed travel further down so the nozzle can print to the top edge of the glass?

I've done a lot of googling with whatever words I can think of that might relate to this and looked at every heading in the getting started section of this forum. I cant find anything to clue me in.
Shouldn't the M2 be able to move the glass downward in the Y-axis so the nozzle can extrude the plastic up close to that top edge?

What am I missing?
IMG_2224.JPG
IMG_2227.JPG
IMG_2228.JPG

Jules

Re: S3D virtual machine does not match M2 Bed

Post by Jules » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:09 am

Hang on....running a quick test.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:24 am

Yes, it should. Maybe not quite as far out as you've got it....you've got to leave a little room for the clips, but it should go farther out than that 3 inches where it's cutting off.

I was just able to print an almost full bed with the same setup. (Here's the bad news....no experts with the new system yet.)

Try shortening your model by 20mm on each side and center it. S3D might have some sort of block in it to keep you from hitting the clips (based on the older models, which used bigger clips) and by overshooting that limit with your model it just cut it off.

Kirk.AIA

Post by Kirk.AIA » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:46 am

I will try a slightly shorter model.
But if S3D has some sort of block it's not working at the bottom edge because the nozzle hit the clips there.

Kirk.AIA

Post by Kirk.AIA » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:29 am

So I just tried a 7" (177.8mm) x 9" (228.6mm) model in S3D. (picture below) If S3D were to center this print on the M2 bed as it should this size gives plenty of room for the clips.

The M2 bed pic shows that the first bottom horizontal line starts off at about the correct place but as the bed moves down it still stops about 1.5" from the top.
(In my previous post I said that is was about 3 inches but that was an incorrect guess on my part. I never really measured it the first time.)
The M2 vibrates badly for a second before making the change in direction when it hits its limit.

On the second pass when the bed moves up it causes the nozzle to hit the clip at the bottom left corner and runs the bottom horizontal extrusion out beyond the glass. That can just be seen in the photo of the M2 bed.

I even tried changing the offset in the option / machine tab in S3d. No change. For some reason S3D is not in sync with the Y-dimension of the M2 build platform.
So is this a software or a hardware glitch? Or do I have something set incorrectly. Being a newbie at this I have no clue why the Y-axis is so out of whack with S3D.

Am I the only one with this issue?
IMG_2234.JPG
IMG_2235.JPG

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:56 pm

If you are getting a grinding sound when you hit the limit, the issue is likely mechanical - that's the stepper motor skipping. (Won't hurt anything - they do grind sometimes.) With the machine off, try removing the plate, setting it aside, and get down underneath it with a flashlight to see if there is anything preventing the bed from moving all the way forward. I see a bunch of stuff around and under your machine in the photo...is the bed getting caught on something? Does the attached cable pull it up short? Does the drive belt have all of it's "teeth"?

Rule those things out before you contact MakerGear and start a support ticket. Might be as simple as a spare screw on the Y-axis rail that the bed is hitting. (Tell them all the things you ruled out to save time.)

PcS

Post by PcS » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:06 pm

Your Y axis limit switch is not working . All your axis home before a print so that the machine knows where all the minimums are. You either have a bad switch or wiring . Take notice of the position of the Y axis limit switch wires. Unplug them. Ohms test across the two terminals on the switch with an ohm meter with the switch lever pressed in . It should read 0 Ohms. If it does not the switch is bad.

Kirk.AIA

Post by Kirk.AIA » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:47 pm

I've done the 'home all' with the S3D jog controls to no effect.
I will see if I can figure out where the wires and the switch are.

sthone

Post by sthone » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:47 pm

LimitSwitch.jpg
This is your limit switch. (Back of press shown by the Red Arrow)
Pull the bed forward.
In S3D hit "Ctrl M" on your keyboard to open the machine control panel, then click the "Commuication Tab"
Type in M119 (use a capital M) in the box next to the send button.
Press the switch by hand and then click "Send".
It should throw back a list of all switches and weather or not they are activated.
(you may need to uncheck "Verbose")

It should look something like this below (although this might have changed)

SENT: M119
RECEIVED: Reporting endstop status
RECEIVED: x_min: open
RECEIVED: y_min: open
RECEIVED: z_min: open
RECEIVED: z_max: open
RECEIVED: ok

Y should read "closed" though if its working. Try running M119 command with the switch pressed and then not pressed.

Kirk.AIA

Post by Kirk.AIA » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:04 pm

Excellent information. I will try it out this evening after work.
Thanks for that.