v3A to V3B extruder upgrade

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
Joost

v3A to V3B extruder upgrade

Post by Joost » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:42 pm

Hi,

I just bought a used M2 and am super excited to get started with it!!!

The M2 I bought is still set up with the V3A extruder, but has 2 new V3B extruders upgrade packets included in the deal. So i was hoping to install the new extruder before I get it going.
I can't seem to find any instructions on how to upgrade from the V3A to the V3B.

Also I am not sure if I need to update the firmware and if so, which firmware to use. I am not sure which Z motor I have, since I don't know when this machine was shipped to the original owner.

Could somebody please help me with this? I would really appreciate this.

Thanks,
Joost

insta

Re: v3A to V3B extruder upgrade

Post by insta » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:10 pm

Keep the V3a and learn on it. It's actually a really good hotend for PLA & ABS -- better than the V3b. Upgrade once you irreparably damage it ;)

If you've got a V3a, you're definitely on the classic 12v setup though. Order the 24v upgrade now and keep it in a box. You'll need it for just about any future upgrade on the machine.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Joost

Post by Joost » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:39 pm

Thank for the super quick reply!! ;)
I will just start with the V3A setup and take it from there.
Once I do damage it beyond control though, do I just change out the hot ends, or do I need to do more? Like upgrading the firmware etc. The V3B kit also came with small fans, do those need to be replaced when I switch?
I will order the 24V upgrade kit. I had been thinking about that one and you just made up my mind for me.

Then I have one more question about the V3A hot end. There is a bunch of tape or something wrapped around the tip, so I can't see what the nozzle size is. Can I just take that off? How do I change the tip on this one?

Sorry for the long list of questions, but I am completely new to this and really appreciate all the help

Joost

Post by Joost » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:58 pm

Thank you for the super quick reply!!

I posted a reply yesterday, but it does not seem to have worked for some reason.

I will stick with the V3A nozzle and learn with that one first. Thank you for the suggestion!
When I finally really damage that one though, do I just switch out the nozzle etc, or do I need to do something more? Like updating the firmware etrc. Also the V3B kits came with a new small fan, do I need that or is it just extra?

I also had another question about the V3A nozzle. There seems to be a bunch of tape wrapped all around it including all over the nozzle tip. This way I can not see what size nozzle it has. Can I just take the tape off, or do I need to apply new tape, and if so what tape do I use?
How do I change nozzles on this one. Do I take out the whole thing and then carefully unscrew the nozzle, or is there a trick to it?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am completely new to this and I don't want to damage anything.

Any answers and replies would be greatly appreciated!!

insta

Post by insta » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:43 am

Joost wrote:Thank you for the super quick reply!!

I posted a reply yesterday, but it does not seem to have worked for some reason.

I will stick with the V3A nozzle and learn with that one first. Thank you for the suggestion!
When I finally really damage that one though, do I just switch out the nozzle etc, or do I need to do something more? Like updating the firmware etrc. Also the V3B kits came with a new small fan, do I need that or is it just extra?

I also had another question about the V3A nozzle. There seems to be a bunch of tape wrapped all around it including all over the nozzle tip. This way I can not see what size nozzle it has. Can I just take the tape off, or do I need to apply new tape, and if so what tape do I use?
How do I change nozzles on this one. Do I take out the whole thing and then carefully unscrew the nozzle, or is there a trick to it?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am completely new to this and I don't want to damage anything.

Any answers and replies would be greatly appreciated!!
It's most likely a 0.35mm nozzle, and you don't change them on the V3*s. You get another one. The firmware will need to be changed, because seriously go to the 24v setup when you upgrade..
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Joost

Post by Joost » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:52 am

I changed to the V3B nozzle and upgraded the firmware today.
Was able to get my first print to work out today. Needs some help but it's a start!!!
Thanks again for your help and yes, I am going to order the 24V upgrade tomorrow. Think it is worth it to just upgrade to the V4 extruder as well?
I am thinking about eventually upgrading to the dual extruder, but want to learn how to build a good model with the single extruder first.
Wish me luck.
Thanks again!