some basic questions on settings and scripts

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
psd

some basic questions on settings and scripts

Post by psd » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:06 pm

Hi, I have a few basic questions:
A. I have a V4 makergear preassembled, bought about 1 month ago. How do I know which hot end I need?

I am using S3D and find it to be great but daunting. I am trying to follow the forum's instructions on printing with PETG.
B. How do I add scripts to g code?

C. For example, how do I : add +0.02 mm increments to the Z-Offset in the G-Code section of S3D, until it quits. You do not smash this filament down to make it stick.

I like the comment Insta gave:
I generally put a filament retract in my ending GCode so it pulls 10mm of plastic out of the hotend. It's pretty straightforward, and lets you keep the plastic loaded while still allowing for you to manually tug it from the cold extruder later (since it's not cemented into the hotend).

CODE: SELECT ALL
G92 E0
G1 E-10 F3000

D. but where do I add this code?

thanks!

Peter
- peter,

innovative product designer and tinkerer

www.petersolomondesign.com

Jules

Re: some basic questions on settings and scripts

Post by Jules » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:47 pm

psd wrote:Hi, I have a few basic questions:
A. I have a V4 makergear preassembled, bought about 1 month ago. How do I know which hot end I need?
You need the V4 hotend.
I am using S3D and find it to be great but daunting. I am trying to follow the forum's instructions on printing with PETG.
In the Advanced Settings section of S3d, (click the Show Advanced button at the bottom of the first page) are several tabs - the Tab labeled Scripts is generally where you change your starting and ending scripts.
C. For example, how do I : add +0.02 mm increments to the Z-Offset in the G-Code section of S3D, until it quits. You do not smash this filament down to make it stick.
In the G-Code Tab of S3D is a Global Z-Offset slot - that is where the people who need to do that would do it. If you have the new Rev. E machine, you do not need to do that.
I generally put a filament retract in my ending GCode so it pulls 10mm of plastic out of the hotend. It's pretty straightforward, and lets you keep the plastic loaded while still allowing for you to manually tug it from the cold extruder later (since it's not cemented into the hotend).

G92 E0
G1 E-10 F3000

In the Ending Script on the Scripts tab in S3D.

:D

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:54 pm

psd wrote:I am using S3D and find it to be great but daunting.
Just remember that S3D's problems are not your fault. But let Jules walk you through it gently, and you'll manage to work around SD3's faults, eventually.

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:01 pm

Tim wrote:
psd wrote:I am using S3D and find it to be great but daunting.
Just remember that S3D's problems are not your fault. But let Jules walk you through it gently, and you'll manage to work around SD3's faults, eventually.
That does seem to be what we spend most of our time doing, doesn't it....figuring out ways around things? :lol:

psd

Post by psd » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:58 pm

Jules wrote:
psd wrote:Hi, I have a few basic questions:
You need the V4 hotend.
In the Advanced Settings section of S3d, (click the Show Advanced button at the bottom of the first page) are several tabs - the Tab labeled Scripts is generally where you change your starting and ending scripts.
In the G-Code Tab of S3D is a Global Z-Offset slot - that is where the people who need to do that would do it. If you have the new Rev. E machine, you do not need to do that.

G92 E0
G1 E-10 F3000

In the Ending Script on the Scripts tab in S3D.

:D
so do I just add that bit of code to the very end of the script?
thanks
- peter,

psd

Post by psd » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:00 pm

How do I find out if I have a Rev. E machine?
where do I find the exact specs of my machine?
thanks again from this novice!
- peter,

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:20 pm

Read the Rev.E Beginner's Guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3542

There are pictures on the first page of it that can help you to determine if you have a Rev.E machine or not.

If you do not have a Rev.E machine, you should read through the other Beginner's Guide in the How To section of the forum.

psd

Post by psd » Mon May 02, 2016 4:56 pm

Jules wrote:Read the Rev.E Beginner's Guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3542

There are pictures on the first page of it that can help you to determine if you have a Rev.E machine or not.

If you do not have a Rev.E machine, you should read through the other Beginner's Guide in the How To section of the forum.
thank you Jules,
never knew I had a Rev. E machine before. was following the previous manual

what other changes should i know about?
thanks again!
- peter,

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon May 02, 2016 5:14 pm

Well, basically it's all good - just read through the correct Beginner's Guide for the stuff you need. You get to dodge all the Z-Stop setting, Calibrations, etc. because of the way your machine is set up. You do still have to do the Filament Drive Screw tension check, but that's in the guide.

So you can focus on things that are plastic related, like getting the print to stick and getting adequate cooling going for PLA. :D