Rev. E using Simplify3D

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
Sensei

Rev. E using Simplify3D

Post by Sensei » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:04 pm

Hello!

OK I'm new to printing (sigh). I went through the bed calibration using the included startup software. The bracelet printed flawlessly. I then took a model of my own design, prepared is using Simplify3D, then printed it using all default configurations via the SD card route. That part also printed flawlessly. Note that I did not clean the bed prior to printing these parts.

On printing my 3rd part (own design), I started having issues. I cleaned the bed with windex while the bed was warm, which appeared clean well and nearly instantly dried off. From this point, I've had problems with the first layer sticking well in all places, causing the print to go haywire and draw up to the nozzle. I've also noticed that prior to the print, the head moves outside the range of the print bed (to the right) and spits out about 8-10 inches of material. So from this, I have two sets of questions:

1) Is it likely that the windex damaged the adhesion qualities of the print surface (yellow layer)? Should I have cleaned with alcohol also? Are additional adhesives (glue stick, hairspray, etc.) still necessary with the yellow layer that comes on revision E? The bed was set to 70c - will increased temperatures improve adhesion?

2) Is the 8-10 inches of extruded material off the print bed normal and part of a good printing process? Are there other obvious Simplify3D features I should adjust?

Thanks!

classicvideogamer

Re: Rev. E using Simplify3D

Post by classicvideogamer » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:23 am

I'm pretty new to this too, but I can answer this part at least - Yes this is normal.
2) Is the 8-10 inches of extruded material off the print bed normal and part of a good printing process? Are there other obvious Simplify3D features I should adjust?

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:28 am

Sensei wrote:Hello!

1) Is it likely that the windex damaged the adhesion qualities of the print surface (yellow layer)? Should I have cleaned with alcohol also? Are additional adhesives (glue stick, hairspray, etc.) still necessary with the yellow layer that comes on revision E? The bed was set to 70c - will increased temperatures improve adhesion?
Not sure about the Windex - you should probably wash the plate really well with soap and water to get that residue off. (Then maybe hit it with some plain vinegar/water in a spray bottle if you want to clean it in the future.)

And yes, sometimes additional adhesives are necessary, even when using polyimide tape. Just put that right on top of it in a heavy layer. One other thing that really helps is to lightly sand the surface of the tape with a very fine grade sandpaper (or a damp Magic eraser). Gives it some tooth.
Yes....that purge is what primes the nozzle and gets it ready for the print. Happens before every print.

Since you're new, you might want to read through the Beginner's Guide linked below....it answers a lot of questions that first -timers run into.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3542

:)

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:10 am

Thanks. Did all suggestions except for roughing up the surface. Much better results now. Suspect once I rough the surface should be good-to-go, unless the design is not feasible for printing.