There *HAS* to be a better Z stop that this damn bolt

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
RBarrow

There *HAS* to be a better Z stop that this damn bolt

Post by RBarrow » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:12 pm

This is the most difficult inaccurate method of handling a Z stop that I have EVER seen....very frustrating...inaccessible...especially if you have large hands. It needs to be adjustable from the bottom or top with a simple turn of a single screw that is spring loaded....not this lock nut junk....just bad design.

Also, my bed leveling CONSTANTLY changes...seems the bed screw vibrate loose over longer prints and throws the bed out of level...I have to relevel between prints constantly. Every where I read that you rarely have to level the bed or set the Z...I have to do this every time.

Frustrated is not the word right now...

Slipshine

Re: There *HAS* to be a better Z stop that this damn bolt

Post by Slipshine » Mon May 02, 2016 2:08 am

When you level the bed run all the leveling screws all the way in. Then back each out about 1/4 turn. Then adjust by backing out only 2 of them. With the screws close to bottom out they hold better. I usually only adjust once per year.

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon May 02, 2016 2:34 am

The guys came up with several easy Z-stop alternatives that they discuss in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1998&start=30

(Or if you upgrade to the V4 nozzle, you don't really have to mess with it again unless you change plates.)

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon May 02, 2016 3:45 am

if you set it up right the zstop bolt is the hands down easiest way to go. makergear has a new setup which is ok but i like the old method with the bolt better. here is what you do. take the bolt out, thread a nut 2/3 the way up the shaft to use for a jam nut. screw the bolt back in but from the bottom up. get an m4 nylock nut. screw that onto the tip of the bolt and set the threads about 1/2 way into the nylon. now get the gap set as close as you can from underneath then lock the jam nut in place. now with a small 7mm wrench you can give that nylock nut a quick tweak to dial things in. i can stop a print, tweak the z and restart in less than 30 sec. every 1/2 flat you turn the nut is aprox .05mm in gap adjustment. as for the level going out, the previous recommendation is it. those screws need to be tightened almost all the way down. the spring tension is what keeps them from spinning.

RBarrow

Post by RBarrow » Tue May 03, 2016 7:44 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions and guidance...just had JUST about had it when I posted :evil:

I have tried the upside down bolt trick with the ny-nut before I posted and it worked pretty well...but what I ended up doing was just locking it down tight where it was fairly close and just loosening the screw holding the nozzle to drop to the feeler gauge. This works quickly and easily for me...no more issues.

And the bed screws were too far out which released the tension on the spring to the point they would work free...once I followed the suggestions and ran them in and backed them out about 1/2 turn...everything has been smooth sailing.

Thanks for all the help/suggestions!

Roy