Bare Basics Start Up - M2 - Rev E

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
ODMT Conductor

Bare Basics Start Up - M2 - Rev E

Post by ODMT Conductor » Fri May 13, 2016 2:43 pm

These are going to sound VERY simple to those who have already moved on, but I am a bit intimidated by this device until I develop some familiarity. I learn quickly, but I have never seen the thing correctly set up, so don't know if what I am seeing is in fact the way it is supposed to be - I gather not. The videos on the website do not apply to my printer, per the website - I watched anyway, and I agree (at least for the unboxing)

1. I have just purchased a M2 (Rev E) and am trying to carefully unbox the unit and get it set up. I have successfully removed the foam from inside the frame, and have not yet attempted to remove the printer from the "base" foam - it may be as simple as pulling it out, but I am uncertain and fear doing something wrong that might damage it. the base foam appears to be one piece, and may just pull off from the bottom of the base - is this in fact the case?

2. I cannot get the heated bed and glass seated in the frame sufficient to close the tabs over the top of the glass - two corners on one side (the right side, as you face the printer) are both raised, the rear-most so much so that the tab will not rotate over the top of it. I fear forcing things, especially since I figure when things are working, I won't have to. I have repositioned the bed/glass several times to no avail - always the same corner - the little screw beneath the corner is the culprit - the bed rests on all 4 screws and this one sticks up the most. Is this correct or am I missing something? The wire bundle from the bed sticks out the back of the printer.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Mark
ODMT Conductor

Jules

Re: Bare Basics Start Up - M2 - Rev E

Post by Jules » Fri May 13, 2016 3:42 pm

Hi Mark - good choice on your purchase! :)

There is a Beginner's Guide for your machine here - with those exact (foam) questions answered in the *Set-up Section:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3542

Do not change the little screw - the plate is supposed to sit on the 4 screws - it's what is used to level the bed. If you cannot clip one side down, just turn the clip out of the way for now.

*Update: (Oops! Scratch that - see the Un-Boxing Tips first. Too many write-ups. :lol: )
Last edited by Jules on Fri May 13, 2016 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tks546

Post by tks546 » Fri May 13, 2016 3:44 pm

ODMT Conductor wrote:These are going to sound VERY simple to those who have already moved on, but I am a bit intimidated by this device until I develop some familiarity. I learn quickly, but I have never seen the thing correctly set up, so don't know if what I am seeing is in fact the way it is supposed to be - I gather not. The videos on the website do not apply to my printer, per the website - I watched anyway, and I agree (at least for the unboxing)

1. I have just purchased a M2 (Rev E) and am trying to carefully unbox the unit and get it set up. I have successfully removed the foam from inside the frame, and have not yet attempted to remove the printer from the "base" foam - it may be as simple as pulling it out, but I am uncertain and fear doing something wrong that might damage it. the base foam appears to be one piece, and may just pull off from the bottom of the base - is this in fact the case?

2. I cannot get the heated bed and glass seated in the frame sufficient to close the tabs over the top of the glass - two corners on one side (the right side, as you face the printer) are both raised, the rear-most so much so that the tab will not rotate over the top of it. I fear forcing things, especially since I figure when things are working, I won't have to. I have repositioned the bed/glass several times to no avail - always the same corner - the little screw beneath the corner is the culprit - the bed rests on all 4 screws and this one sticks up the most. Is this correct or am I missing something? The wire bundle from the bed sticks out the back of the printer.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Mark
ODMT Conductor
Can answer number 1 as I just unboxed mine Monday. The M2 just lifts off the base foam, if you can find an extra set of hands to hold the bottom foam that will make the job much easier.
As for you second question I'm not sure as my bed and glass set right right into the holder and latched down with the only issue being the kapton tape scraped off under the latches.

-Tom

Hugs

Post by Hugs » Fri May 13, 2016 10:48 pm

ODMT Conductor wrote:2. I cannot get the heated bed and glass seated in the frame sufficient to close the tabs over the top of the glass.[...] Is this correct or am I missing something?
It's totally OK to loosen the screws on the tabs. You should be able to back the screws far enough out that the clips swing quite freely over the glass. Also, in case you didn't realize it (I didn't when I first unboxed mine in March) is that there should be 4 replacement tabs included in a little bag. They don't need a whole lot of pressure to keep the bed secure but after a couple of months, mine are showing a little bend in them.

Your build plate was leveled and tested before shipping so as Jules says, don't adjust the little screws on the bottom until you go through the getting started process.

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri May 13, 2016 11:02 pm

tks546 wrote:...... the only issue being the kapton tape scraped off under the latches. -Tom
Cut the corners off of the kapton tape on the plate at a 45 degree angle. (Makes it easier to swing the tabs over from either side.) :)