Really Getting Started - Purchase Decision

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
MichaelH

Re: Really Getting Started - Purchase Decision

Post by MichaelH » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:03 pm

Congratulations form a guy who is run his M2 for over fourteen months and is still happy and in the group. :D
I really run the M2 every day for hours with no problems.
As I said in the google group I run a $X0.000 Fortus and my M2 and honestly I should have bought 25 more M2's.

Have fun and enjoy.

Michael

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:25 pm

A great choice you will be happy you made. I suggest you read up on the unit and watch the videos Makergear has on YouTube. I went ahead and purchased Simplify3d and it too seems to have been a good choice for me. If you go that route review the excellent "unofficial" guide.

Keith

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:27 pm

The guide needs updating with the latest 2.1.0 release, but I do not have the time currently. Still, it is not entirely obsolete.

outlaw704

Post by outlaw704 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:24 pm

Again, thank-you for the guidance. You have made me very comfortable about my purchase.

Other than the printer -- what else would you guys suggest I order to get started?

I am going to buy Simplify3D.

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:31 pm

Check out my "M2 tips" thread in the tips forum once you get your printer.
Get some extra filament.
Get a glue stick, or hair spray, or Elmer's glue.

That's about all I can generically recommend for purchase, I'm sure you will find yourself getting different things as you run into them. There's a lot of doodads you can print for yourself to mod the M2, as well.

Dave K

Post by Dave K » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:44 pm

Off the top of my head, two things I use a lot...

1) LED flashlight to shine on the print, at a shallow angle, to get a better idea of how the pring is going down. Some people have installed LEDs on the M2 itself for the same reason.
2) Calipers, good quality, if you are going to be printing anything that will mate with, or replace, existing objects that you can measure. I am amazed at the accuracy of the M2.

outlaw704

Post by outlaw704 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:57 pm

One month in...

I purchased the assembled M2. I am happy I did. While I think I could have assembled the kit, I was happy to get to print shortly after my printer arrived. From purchase to arrival at the house was about 7 days. Everything (including 3 extra rolls of filament I purchased) came by US Mail in a 47 pound parcel. I paid $90 for shipping, but let me assure you MakerGear paid that in postage plus a bunch more in packing materials and handling costs - and I really appreciate it. Everything was in excellent shape.

I also purchased Simplify3D, the $140 software that makes the printer go. Others on this forum use other softwares to communicate with the printer, but I have had a good experience with S3D.

My first print project was not any of the included sample files, but the printer mod pieces mentioned throughout this forum and found on thingiverse.com. Without having ever seeing 3D printing before, I had several PLA objects printed in the first few days. It is very satisfying. My original "need" for a 3D printer was to support my aerial photography hobby. So I am currently printing parts for a quadcopter. I haven't tried ABS yet. PLA is mostly working for me and I will break out the ABS and start printing spare parts for the M2 soon.

Getting to this point has not been a perfect experience, as I have had a few print "failures". (Prints that did not come out right.) Each failure though has led me to better understanding of the whole process. It has been part of the fun figuring out what I did wrong and adding each new experience to my wee (but growing) bag of tricks.

I am now to the point of wanting to create my own print files, not always rely on someone else's, i.e., thingiverse, so I am looking into software that I can learn to do just that. So far, I am using a trial version of SketchUp Maker and working through it's learning curve.

The best part of this whole experience has been the mentoring and coaching by those on this forum. While I am mostly a lurker, I try to read every thread and pick up bits and pieces for that wee (but growing) bag I mentioned. I can't say enough about how helpful our forum members have been and their willingness to share, even with a raw green bean like me!

jsc

Post by jsc » Thu May 08, 2014 10:15 pm

I am like a broken record on this point, but let me repeat myself: Sketchup is a great tool for architectural work and things intended to be displayed on a computer, but it is a "mesh modeler", which makes it less than ideal for 3D printing. What you want is something intended for CAD, a "solid modeler".

Now, that is not to say Sketchup is unusable for 3D printing. A great number of people on Thingiverse use it successfully, and one of our own members, Brendan, has done a great deal of work on quadcopters using it. I would say, rather, it is "unsuitable" for 3D printing, but can be made to work with care.

For Sketchup-like ease of use, check out DesignSpark Mechanical (Windows only, I run it under a VM on a Mac). For a cross-platform system of similar power, check out AutoDesk Fusion 360, or maybe AutoDesk 123D (the desktop version; no personal experience but I've seen it around). Rhino3D for Mac is free while in beta, and seems very nice.

I don't mean to dissuade anyone from checking out Sketchup, it's a great program and easy to use. There are people using it that have done far more impressive things than I ever hope to. But it may save you some time in the end if you start out with something more fit for 3D printing.

outlaw704

Post by outlaw704 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:38 pm

jsc wrote:I am like a broken record on this point, but let me repeat myself: Sketchup is a great tool for architectural work and things intended to be displayed on a computer, but it is a "mesh modeler", which makes it less than ideal for 3D printing. What you want is something intended for CAD, a "solid modeler".

Now, that is not to say Sketchup is unusable for 3D printing. A great number of people on Thingiverse use it successfully, and one of our own members, Brendan, has done a great deal of work on quadcopters using it. I would say, rather, it is "unsuitable" for 3D printing, but can be made to work with care.

For Sketchup-like ease of use, check out DesignSpark Mechanical (Windows only, I run it under a VM on a Mac). For a cross-platform system of similar power, check out AutoDesk Fusion 360, or maybe AutoDesk 123D (the desktop version; no personal experience but I've seen it around). Rhino3D for Mac is free while in beta, and seems very nice.

I don't mean to dissuade anyone from checking out Sketchup, it's a great program and easy to use. There are people using it that have done far more impressive things than I ever hope to. But it may save you some time in the end if you start out with something more fit for 3D printing.
Thanks - I don't want to waste my time; and so far I don't think SkecthUp is very intuitive. If you think SketchUp isn't the way to go, I am very willing to try another avenue. I really appreciate it!

See what I mean about this forum!!! :) :) :)

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri May 09, 2014 1:41 am

yeah i tried sketchup and wasnt too thrilled with it either. a friend that models professionally steered me toward rhino which is fantastic. i have the pc version but quit using it and now use the mac. i love it. if you decide to go the rhino route i have some videos just send me a pm.