Really Getting Started - Purchase Decision

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
outlaw704
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:58 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Really Getting Started - Purchase Decision

Post by outlaw704 » Mon May 12, 2014 6:16 pm

jimc wrote:yeah i tried sketchup and wasn't too thrilled with it either. a friend that models professionally steered me toward rhino which is fantastic. i have the pc version but quit using it and now use the mac. i love it. if you decide to go the rhino route i have some videos just send me a pm.
Two days into the free 90 day trial of Rhino 5 for pc, using their tutorials and some lynda.com lessons and I am about to go for it... Kind of pricey, but it has become obvious that it is far superior for modelling for 3d printing...

Thanks for the tip!

Terry

User avatar
Dave K
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:13 am

Re: Really Getting Started - Purchase Decision

Post by Dave K » Mon May 12, 2014 6:36 pm

outlaw704 wrote:
jimc wrote:yeah i tried sketchup and wasn't too thrilled with it either. a friend that models professionally steered me toward rhino which is fantastic. i have the pc version but quit using it and now use the mac. i love it. if you decide to go the rhino route i have some videos just send me a pm.
Two days into the free 90 day trial of Rhino 5 for pc, using their tutorials and some lynda.com lessons and I am about to go for it... Kind of pricey, but it has become obvious that it is far superior for modelling for 3d printing...

Thanks for the tip!

Terry
I've looked at Rhino a dozen times, and the price drives me off each time. I can't justify it, even though I want to. For my needs, I wish they would market a stripped down version of Rhino that concentrates on 3D model creation without all of the 2D rendering capabilities, at a lower price.

I've been using DesignSpark Mechanical mainly. Can't beat the price (free), and it serves most of my needs for the time being. But my needs are pretty basic right now. It doesn't have anywhere near the capabilities of Rhino.

User avatar
jimc
Posts: 2888
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:30 pm
Location: mullica, nj
Contact:

Re: Really Getting Started - Purchase Decision

Post by jimc » Mon May 12, 2014 8:39 pm

the only problem with that dave is the whole way rhino works you start off with 2d linework then extrude them so you need the 2d element. its the basis for the whole thing. all in all the $1k they want isnt bad compared to most professional cad software that is multi thousands. if you use a mac then it free. or if you are in any kind of school or you have kids that are then you can get it for around $150 or less i believe on the education discount.

User avatar
Dave K
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:13 am

Re: Really Getting Started - Purchase Decision

Post by Dave K » Mon May 12, 2014 9:14 pm

jimc wrote:the only problem with that dave is the whole way rhino works you start off with 2d linework then extrude them so you need the 2d element. its the basis for the whole thing. all in all the $1k they want isnt bad compared to most professional cad software that is multi thousands. if you use a mac then it free. or if you are in any kind of school or you have kids that are then you can get it for around $150 or less i believe on the education discount.
I'm going to have to wait for a real need, I'm afraid. I could easily talk myself into spending a few hundred on a good package, but as a hobbyist the full price for Rhino is a hard stop for me, at least for the time being. If my M2 generated income, it would be a different story. I might try their evaluation software and see how I feel after 90 days, but that is SO dangerous...been there, done that...if I get the eval software, I might as well just send in the $1K now and have done with it :lol:

jsc
Posts: 1864
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:00 am

Re: Really Getting Started - Purchase Decision

Post by jsc » Mon May 12, 2014 11:38 pm

DesignSpark Mechanical is great. It's my go to modeler other than OpenSCAD, and that's mostly for the Thingiverse Customizer. The only downside is that it could use a tutorial. The built in documentation is pretty good, though, and I've been learning more and more of its features.

Dave K, what have you used it for? I'm interested in seeing other people's designs using it; it's not super popular.

I haven't tried the free Mac Rhino version yet. I guess I'm not looking forward to getting all used to it, then all of a sudden being hit for a thou when it comes out of beta. I'll probably give it a shot, though.

If I were going to do something sculptural or that needed swoopy industrial design, I'd learn AutoDesk Fusion 360. It does NURBS, and the few tutorial videos I've seen look great. Runs on a Mac, supports my 3D mouse. But DSM serves my needs very well: sketch, extrude, push/pull holes, fillets and rounds.

jsc
Posts: 1864
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:00 am

Re: Really Getting Started - Purchase Decision

Post by jsc » Mon May 12, 2014 11:41 pm

We should do some modeling projects. Like, have a topic for the month, and anyone who is interested submits a design in their favorite modeler. Nothing hard, and nothing stupid (remix T-Rex!)

User avatar
jimc
Posts: 2888
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:30 pm
Location: mullica, nj
Contact:

Re: Really Getting Started - Purchase Decision

Post by jimc » Mon May 12, 2014 11:59 pm

jin the mac rhino has been in beta for about 6-7 years now and is likely to be there another 6-7 lol. not that it has far to go but there is only one guy working on it and i think rhino and cad features advance as fast or faster than this guy can code. its pretty darn good and not many features are missing. i just think he cant keep up.

i managed to get solidworks for free a few months ago. they give it to veterans no charge which is nice. i have a complete video course for that as well i just havent had a chance to watch it.

User avatar
Dave K
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:13 am

Re: Really Getting Started - Purchase Decision

Post by Dave K » Tue May 13, 2014 12:34 am

jsc wrote: Dave K, what have you used it for? I'm interested in seeing other people's designs using it; it's not super popular.
I've only done very simple objects with it. The two items I use most are a Z-axis stay and a set of fuselage mounts for an RC helicopter chassis. Nothing to write home about, but they both do what they were designed to do, and that's all I can ask for!

Note the filament cleaner in the background...I opened up the clip and looked at the cloth, and it was noticeably soiled. Not filthy but noticeable. I won't print with out it now.
IMG_6594_preview_featured.jpg
IMG_6594_preview_featured.jpg (67.92 KiB) Viewed 5561 times
450_A109_Mounts_preview_featured.jpg
450_A109_Mounts_preview_featured.jpg (174.62 KiB) Viewed 5561 times

Toby
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:44 pm

Re: Really Getting Started - Purchase Decision

Post by Toby » Tue May 13, 2014 4:21 am

jsc wrote:We should do some modeling projects. Like, have a topic for the month, and anyone who is interested submits a design in their favorite modeler. Nothing hard, and nothing stupid (remix T-Rex!)
This isn't exactly like what you propose, but if anyone's interested it might be fun.

The challenge is to design, print, and build yourself a small lamp. I got this lamp kit from Lowe's a few weeks ago (about $10 IIRC) and have been meaning to do it.

All those lithophanes got me thinking maybe the shade could be printed as well as the base.
lamp.jpg
lamp.jpg (49.72 KiB) Viewed 5542 times

User avatar
jimc
Posts: 2888
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:30 pm
Location: mullica, nj
Contact:

Re: Really Getting Started - Purchase Decision

Post by jimc » Tue May 13, 2014 4:26 am

jsc wrote:We should do some modeling projects. Like, have a topic for the month, and anyone who is interested submits a design in their favorite modeler. Nothing hard, and nothing stupid (remix T-Rex!)

ok jin, should the models be 3d printable specific or doesnt it matter? size etc?

Post Reply