Running ABS for thee first time

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
jsf01

Running ABS for thee first time

Post by jsf01 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:57 pm

Hello,

I'm new on the forums and I need some help (obviously :lol: ). Anyways, I've had my Makergear M2 for about 2-3 years and I love it. When I purchased the Makergear, I bought 3 spools of ABS and 5 spools of PLA and I've finally run out of PLA material. I know thee bed needs to be heated, so I went into the control panel and set thee bed and extruder temperature. The Extruder temperate is sitting at 250 Celsius actual temperature and the set temperature is 250 Celsius. The problem I'm having currently is I set my bed to 105 Celsius, but it is still set to the ambient temperature, which is 25 Celsius. I looked over all the wires and they look good. Under my communications, the bed itself isn't even going over 25.0 Celsius. Please help. Thank you so much.

jsf01

Re: Running ABS for thee first time

Post by jsf01 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:56 pm

jsf01 wrote:Hello,

I'm new on the forums and I need some help (obviously :lol: ). Anyways, I've had my Makergear M2 for about 2-3 years and I love it. When I purchased the Makergear, I bought 3 spools of ABS and 5 spools of PLA and I've finally run out of PLA material. I know the bed needs to be heated, so I went into the control panel and set thee bed and extruder temperature. The Extruder temperate is sitting at 250 Celsius actual temperature and the set temperature is 250 Celsius. The problem I'm having currently is I set my bed to 105 Celsius, but it is still set to the ambient temperature, which is 25 Celsius. I looked over all the wires and they look good. Under my communications, the bed itself isn't even going over 25.0 Celsius. Please help. Thank you so much.
So, ends up that thee cable had no voltage running to it. As well as that, I have another issue that you might be able to help me with. I switched back to PLA since I couldn't get ABS to work. I removed the ABS and put the PLA in and began to run some of the plastic to filter out the remaining ABS. When I ran it, for the first 10 or so seconds, it worked fine, but after that, the feeder would jam (it would move back and forth). If you could help me on this, that would be great. As well as that, if I could get some help on the cabling on if I need to directly solder it into the fitting or got to Molex and get another connector. Thank you so much.

Jules

Re: Running ABS for thee first time

Post by Jules » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:42 pm

Sounds like the wire to the HBP might have broken somewhere inside the wire sheath where you can't see it. (Which is apparently common on machines that age, after years of printing and flexing of the wires. Several people have described how they fixed it.)

Contact MakerGear Support - they can get you the replacement parts and help you to diagnose and install the parts: http://www.makergear.com/pages/support

Once you put the new one on, Jim came up with a really great method for relieving the stress on the wires described in the post here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1712

I did it on my machine to keep the wire from breaking, and so far it hasn't, so I guess it works. :lol:
(BTW: New Rev.E machines have a different design - less concern of wire breakage.)