Help A New Guy - First Layer

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
derekcfi

Help A New Guy - First Layer

Post by derekcfi » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:39 pm

Greetings,

M2 V3B & Simplify3D
PLA with heated bed to 70C

For the last two days I have calibrated my Z-End Stop and leveled my bed about 50 times. I have used every method I could find on this site, youtube videos, and the MakerGear guides, but I cannot get a print out of this machine. Every time I begin printing, the PLA just curls around the nozzle.

Please help. TIA.

Jules

Re: Help A New Guy - First Layer

Post by Jules » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:41 am

Hi derek,

There are actually a few things that can contribute to an extruded thread not sticking properly to the plate with your nozzle style/age machine. (Older model/V3B nozzle.)

All of them are discussed in the Beginner's Guide located here: (Reading it would be a very good idea if you haven't done so yet.)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3342

1. Most common issue is: The gap between the tip of the nozzle and the bed is too large. That gap is partially created by having the Z-Stop set too far away from the bed for the first layer.
There are instructions on how to set that, and how to fine tune the gap with the Z-Offset in the S3D software, in that write-up. (And I spent a couple days setting my Z-Stop too!) :D

2. Second possibility is that you do not have enough adhesive (hairspray or gluestick.) That helps with PLA, which tends to not stick.

3. Third possibility is that you are trying to extrude too fast, and there might be a tiny bit of unmelted plastic in the tip that is directing the thread up around the nozzle. Heat the nozzle before the print (Jog Controls), use the tweezers to catch and pull the thread down while you extrude about 10-20 mm at a time. If you extrude more than that, it will curl up. Aside from making a big globby mess, it usually doesn't hurt anything. But use the tweezers to clean the nozzle off before each print. (Set the printing speed to no higher than 4200 mm/min at first.)

Try those things and see if it helps. :D

Update: You don't need to run through the whole leveling process again, just the Z-Stop and mainly the Z-Offset calibration.

derekcfi

Post by derekcfi » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:17 pm

Yes, I have read and re-read that thread and every other beginners guide available.

I have set my Z End Stop gap from a sheet of paper, all the way up to .20mm with a feeler gauge. I have played with the offset in both directions .05mm at a time with no changes in results. I must be doing this wrong, but I dont know what I am doing wrong. I have applied all the techniques in ALL of the beginner guides for setting this end stop.

I tried glue with no change in results.

How do I change the extrusion speed? I'm using the stock settings for the M2 with PLA on Simplify3d.

Thanks

insta

Post by insta » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:44 pm

Are you 100% sure this is PLA you're printing with?

Burn a piece of the filament. PLA will burn with a clean, small, blue flame. ABS will burn with a large, orange, very sooty flame. PETG burns similarly to ABS.

I bet you have mislabelled ABS.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

derekcfi

Post by derekcfi » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:02 pm

It is PLA from Makergear.

So how do I set my Z-endstop to get back to printing? Why would a Z-endstop change cause the filament to no loner adhere and curl around the nozzle.

sthone

Post by sthone » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:22 pm

The reason changing the height of the Z-end stop will affect your print is because you are moving the nozzle tip away (or toward the bed) and this will affect your first layer. If it's curling back against the nozzle while actually printing the first layer your nozzle is probably way to far away from the bed.

Follow this Thread to adjust the z-stop bolt. If your bed is level don't mess with the three leveling screws just start with marking the center of the bed and go from there.

If your still having problems with the first layer after setting your z-stop height it probably a bed adhesion problem.