How to pause without layer separation

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
sTaLa

How to pause without layer separation

Post by sTaLa » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:06 pm

Hello!

Whenever I pause my print, whether it is to insert a nut, change the filament, for one minute or for one hour, I get layer separation. It seems to get worst the longer I pause the print, but not by much.

I tried turning off my bed fan a few layers prior to the pause to slow down the cooling, but it did not make any real difference.

My next step is to heat the last layer with a gun prior to resuming the print.

But seaching on the forum, layer separation after a pause does not seem to be an issue for most people. Is there something I am missing?

I am using a RevE machine with PLA. Temperature ranging from 205 to 215 depending on color/manufacturer is the filament.

Thank you!

sthone

Re: How to pause without layer separation

Post by sthone » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:52 pm

Try the method I outlined in this post. It will do the pause automatically and when you restart it it will start off exactly where it left off at the pause.

sTaLa

Post by sTaLa » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:44 pm

Yes I read that and it worked beautifully a couple of weeks ago! First time I tried and never succeeded to start the print back. I think it was because I used M0 instead of M25. I found the M0 code in a general Gcode library, nothing directly related to the MG M2. Now that I use M25, I can easily restart the print.

But I still have the same issue: when the print starts back, there is a slight layer separation. I mean: both layers do not bond perfectly, you can see a small line where the print resumed. I am trying to find out how to get rid of that slight "layer separation".

My only hypothesis is that the PLA is to cold. But I doubt that since on large prints, PLA has time to cool down before the next layer is layed down...

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:11 pm

Yeah, I tend to agree that it's a cooling issue - I'm not sure there is anything you can really do about it.

With large prints, the last layer is still pretty warm - it's got all the heat from the layers underneath it too. When you pause the print - things start to cool pretty quickly, especially in layers far removed from the bed, and they might contract just a little bit.

Maybe you could lower the resume point by about 0.02 mm.