Prints are still not sticking down.

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
Nofear202

Prints are still not sticking down.

Post by Nofear202 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:41 pm

I'm using MakerGear M2 with v4 dual extruders and its not the Rev E. Machine. I'm only using extruder 0 (left extruder) and printing with PLA on glass bed with Elmers glue applied. My temperature settings are bed: 60 and extruder: 210. I have my left extruder selected only in my FFF settings on SIMPLIFY3D. The bed is leveled and extruder 1 (right extruder) is not hitting the build.

So why do keep getting the same results?

Thanks
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (38.97 KiB) Viewed 16784 times

Jules

Re: Prints are still not sticking down.

Post by Jules » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:33 pm

I need to see a close-up photo. Try to get one where we can see the individual threads.

Nofear202

Post by Nofear202 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:52 pm

Threads? The extruder heads threads?

Spotopolis

Post by Spotopolis » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:32 am

I think she means close enough to see the individual lines extruded from the hot end. As in the plastic coming out as "thread".

By seeing close ups, it is possible to see if under or over extruding is happening. Also, judging by the shape of the skirt layers it is possible to see if the extruder is too close or too far from the bed.

Nofear202

Post by Nofear202 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:41 am

Any tips to help me better level my bed. I use a piece a print paper and fold it. Adjust the screws so the paper can slider under the extruderss. I use auto leve wizard on simplify3d to do this.

Spotopolis

Post by Spotopolis » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:59 am

The procedure for leveling the bed is covered in detail in Jule's beginners guides. The thread is the top one (sticky) in the "Getting Starting" section. There are two guides - one for older printers and one for new printers (Rev E) that shipped after March 1st of this year. It would be a good idea to read at least that section, but the whole thing is extremely helpful even for veteran users.

Also, real metal feeler gauges will work much better and run about $5 at an auto store. It is much easier if you remove the individual "blade" from the set so you can use it perfectly flat. Again, in the guides it will tell you what measurement it should be depending on how your machine is equipped.

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:19 am

And i would still like to see a close up of the photo that you have showing now.

It looks to me like you are too close to the bed with the nozzle for the first layer, but it's impossible to be sure without seeing a close-up of the print. And without being sure, we could give you directions that will make things even worse.

Nofear202

Post by Nofear202 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:09 am

Here's the close ups.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:38 am

You need to move the bed closer to the nozzle for the first layer. Right now it is air-printing, which means that the filament is just dropping onto the bed from too high, instead of being slightly squished into place on the plate.

Since you do not have a Rev. E machine, that means you need to either reset your Z-stop, and/or make an adjustment in the Simplify 3D software for the Z-Offset.

Your Z-stop is set pretty far away, and it would be a good idea for you to re-set it, BUT....it is also possible to just do a series of calibration squares to calculate a Z-Offset that you will need to use inside S3d to bring the bed closer for your first layer.

Setting the Z-Stop (you don't need to re-level, just re-set the Z-stop) is described in detail in the Beginner's Guide here, page 9: (this is the one you need to use)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3342

After you re-set the Z-Stop, you need to determine what the Z-Offset is for your machine. The instructions for determining the Z-Offset are linked below:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3124

Please note: There is a link in that second guide that takes you to another discussion on how to correctly set the Z-Offsets for a Dual machine. It is more involved than a single. Be sure to follow the link at the bottom of the Z-Offset tutorial to see what you need to do.

Holler if you have any questions about it. You need to do 3 things to get the plate situated correctly for printing.

1. Re-set the Z-Stop (optional if it makes you uncomfortable - you can adjust it using the Z-Offset)
2. Determine your Z-Offset
3. Set the second head at the correct height

Nofear202

Is it suppose to be like this?

Post by Nofear202 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:40 pm

I did everything listed and the printer works great it printed out a money clip. On my simplify3D program my scale is moved over and it moved my print over as well on the bed. This is going to be a problem when I printer larger scale models. How do I correct this?

Thank you.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-08-07 at 12.34.03 PM.png