Zero: Manual vs Printing mode on a Rev.E

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
sTaLa

Zero: Manual vs Printing mode on a Rev.E

Post by sTaLa » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:15 am

I have been looking for this on the forum but did not have any luck.

Is there a way to Zero the bed in manual mode using S3D on a RevE?

I mean, when I home all my axes, I ready Z=0. But my bed is fard down where the limit swithes are.
Now, when I start a print over USB, I can read the Z value during the print. And I can see the print starts at about Z=0.2 mm; which is really close to the nozzle.

I would like to set the bed at the real Z=0 (near the nozzle) in manual mode using S3D interface. Is there a way to do it?
Thanks!!!
Last edited by sTaLa on Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jules

Re: Zero: Manual vs Printing mode

Post by Jules » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:41 am

Afraid not. Your Z=0 is at the base of the machine, where the switches are. The firmware is set up to handle it that way for the Rev.Es. If you want to do it the other way, you need an older version of the machine, and that firmware.

sTaLa

Post by sTaLa » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:37 am

Thanks for that answer.
That also explains a lot of "does not apply to Rev.E" comments I saw on the forum and never really understood the reason for.

I wanted to "zero" the bed near the nozzle so I could just put a filler gauge under the nozzle, drop the nozzle and retight it into place. I guess I will just you the quick app dedicated for zeroing. I did not fiddle with this one yet, I only used the quick start app so far.

Thanks again Jules!

sTaLa

Post by sTaLa » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:58 am

Just let me look at it another way so I can get it our of my head.

On a Rev.E, while not printing and using S3D as a control interface, can I manually raise the bed to the height the print would start?

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:49 am

You can use the knob, or the jog controls to raise the bed. (Negative jogs move the bed up for that machine.)

If you are wanting to Zero the Z at that position and have that be your home for Z, no..... you won't be able to do that. The machine is always going to go down to the bottom, tag that switch, and then move up into position for the printing. (It's how the firmware is written for your machine.)

Why are you wanting to do that? Are you trying to modify the gap slightly? (That can be handled using a quick coding entry in the Communications panel):

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3666

Be sure to use capital letters or it won't recognize the code.

sTaLa

Post by sTaLa » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:08 pm

Kind of yes.

I saw that thread and understood I can adjust the Z height using those codes, but I would like to know from what height I start.

I do not want the print start height to be the Z home. I would like to manually home the Z height (at the bottom near the switch), and then enter a line of code that will raise the bed to its starting position.

I understand I will be able to manage using the Z height app or the codes you just mentioned, but that would be nice achieve complete "control" over the machine.

I read the GCodes and tried to read the Z value of the starting height, but somehow the firmware seems to switch its reference and make the starting point Z=0.

Jules

Re: Zero: Manual vs Printing mode on a Rev.E

Post by Jules » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:15 pm

If you want to get into re-coding the firmware - you're going to need a lot more expertise than I've got, although there are a few guys around here that could probably do it....sorry about that. :(

You can use Arduino on the Configuration.h tab to see what the current firmware coding is, and make any adjustments to it that you want there before you flash* it to the machine. Good luck and let us know if it works. (Worst thing you'll likely do is crash the nozzle into the bed, as long as you don't mess with the other fire-prevention safety settings - etc.)

(*Be prepared to reflash the correct firmware if your experimenting doesn't work.)

There's a good G-Code reference here:

http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code

The firmware for the machines is located here:

http://makergear.wikidot.com/m2-firmware

sTaLa

Post by sTaLa » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:16 pm

Well no I don't see it worth the time. I understand that what I am trying to achieve is not easily doable.
It would have been nice though to be able to get that number at which the print begins.
I understand that number is somehow hidden though.

Thanks Jules!

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:12 pm

No prob......(I had actually asked for that Starting Height number to be incorporated into the Z-Adjust app back in April but I guess it got back burnered.) C'est la vie! ;)

sthone

Post by sthone » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:15 pm

I could be totally wrong here but.....

Wouldn't your starting height just be 250 + your z offset from the app?

So maybe.... send the M501 command to read your off set then add 250 to that number and that's your starting height?