Some help for a first time user: adherence and fan speed

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
morganfree

Some help for a first time user: adherence and fan speed

Post by morganfree » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:55 am

Hello to everybody!
I'm new to the group and with 3D printers! I received my MG M2 yesterday! Only today I had the chance to print something (calibration models from the tips and getting start topics).
So, It took me more than a day after I had the CORAGE of printing for the first time!!!

I read all of the threads (I can tell) about getting started, configuration, setups, filaments, adherence, etc.etc. I can tell I went quite good (at least I'm happy) with Z-Calibrations, Bed Level and also with extrusion calibration: the three models printed were fine (the grid, the cube with infills and the cube without them).

BUT!

Almost everything I printed had little or almost nothing of adherence to the platform! The nozzle is almost "dragging" the first layer...

I'm using hairspray (I did the way I read somewhere here: applying layers of spray, letting them dry between one application and another, 6 layers); I'm printing PLA at T° Extruder/220 C°& table/70 C°.

I tried correcting the G-Code Z-Global height (in S3D), lowering the speed for the first layer (up to 30%) and lowering the fan speed after the first layer. But the problems are still.

I finally tried putting a layer of stick glue to the table and worked fine for a while. The first layer remained glued at the beginning, but after a few layer after, appeared the other problem: the part unglued in some zones and finally deforms.

Some questions:
1) Should I use heated platform when I use hair spray with PLA? (maybe that's my first problem, I'm thinking the spray dried with the T°...)
2) The stick glue should be used with cool or hot table? (same than with hair spray). Should I wash the table after every print if I use glue?
3) About the "Deformation" of the part: Should I let the fan speed go maximum after the first layer (that is happening and I read that that situation might cause some problems...)

These are specific questions I have... but of course I receive any advice from you!

Thank you very much!

insta

Re: Some help for a first time user: adherence and fan speed

Post by insta » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:51 pm

You're printing too hot on the bed (use 55-60C), but are you sure your first layer height is correct? Check the stickies, there's lots of information around for getting that right. It's absolutely mandatory.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:35 pm

If you have a Rev.E model of the machine (just bought it new), a lot of the Z-Calibration information doesn't apply to your machine. The new models use the Quick Start App to set the Starting Height. Adjustments to the Z-Offset in S3D don't accomplish anything for the new machines.

Beginner's Guide for the Rev.E machines: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3542

If you used that, your Starting Height might be a little bit too low. (too much gap)

If you can upload a photo or two of the first layer (just cancel the print after the first layer is about halfway done and take a fairly tight photo) we can probably tell if you need to adjust that gap a little by looking at it.

morganfree

Post by morganfree » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:47 am

Thank you both for your answers!
Since my post took a little bit to be actually posted, I continue looking for solutions to my problems, and at this moment I can say that I'm printing with less problems (evethough every day appears a new situtation... haha).

- The bed is now at 60C, as Insta suggest.
- About the firts layer height I had many problems: The Z-Stop configuration was always messing due to low fixation of the Z sensor... therefore after a few Z-0s, I had troubles. It took me a while until I notice that and correct it.
- Another problem was the hairspray itself: I was using too little. Eventhough I thought I had some good layers of hairspray, I needed more. I don't have that issue any longer, neither.

Jules, I guess I don't have a REV E machine (how can I know?) since I bought a used machine and I don't know when the machine was originally bought. The only things I know are that the extruder is a V3b, the Z engine is not black (grey with black stripe) and the "spider" is the one with three bolts. What REV is that printer?

About the deformations, well, I still have some little deformations but only after the part is unglued from the bed. I definitelly decrease the extruder temp to 205/200 C for the PLA and I'm getting better results. Maybe I still some more little adjustments... Any suggestion?

Another thing I tried was the tape that comes with the machine. I could apply it very well to the glass (no bubbles no stripes) but it didn't fixed at all the PLA once extruded. Did I missed something? Or is it just not suitable for PLA? Is is something related to cleaning or T° of the bed?

Thank you for your support, again.

Best regards,