Petg Overhangs and Curling Edges

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
Fibonacci

Petg Overhangs and Curling Edges

Post by Fibonacci » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:03 pm

I am new to this so please forgive me if I am making rookie mistakes. I have a Makergear M2 Rev E and am using simplify3d. I am working on dialing in the settings and expiramenting with test prints, everything seems to be working fairly well but for a few issues. I seem to be having issues with overhangs without supports. When printing complicated overhangs the edges start to curl up to above the nozzle and block the next layer from being extruded in the right place. The bed fan is at high and has a shroud so I would think it's getting enough cool air.

Also what settings should I be dialing in for overhangs just to be sure I'm looking in the right place.
Attachments
image.jpg

Tim

Re: Petg Overhangs and Curling Edges

Post by Tim » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:29 am

PETg is particularly bad with overhangs and curling. Does it have to be done in PETg? Is there a way to print it to avoid the overhangs?

If you're just experimenting, then treat that as a lesson in the limits of PETg (which I love, by the way, and use almost exclusively. But it does have its limitations). Which is not to say that you can't get better results; but I suggest getting it very well dialed in before torture-testing it on overhangs.

FYI, though, PETg shrinks a lot more than PLA (although less than ABS). The fan may actually make it worse by causing it to shrink rapidly. I have run PETg both with and without the fan. I have not done rigorous enough testing to figure out if one way is clearly better than the other.