stl files

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
Guillemain234

stl files

Post by Guillemain234 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:56 am

Hi, I am new to 3d printing and would like to know how to use stl files with the makergear m2 because i have tried to import them onto the provided sd card and it did not work.

Jules

Re: stl files

Post by Jules » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:09 am

Basically, you need a card reader to get them onto the card. I use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Targus-Secure-Di ... ard+reader

You would place the micro SD card into the card reader, plug it into your computer, and then save the file from your slicer onto the card.

There is a Beginner's Guide that you should read here, that will help you get started:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3542

ksevcik

Post by ksevcik » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:46 am

Jules misheard you and thought you were talking about .gcode files.

STL files are the 3D model of what you want to print. You need a separate program to turn this into information the printer can use to build the object. That's called a slicer program.

Download and look over this Beginner's Guide. Information about slicers and the 3D printing process in general starts on page 7.

There's two options recommended by Makergear:
Simplify3D (costs $150, but offers 2 weeks to return it for a full refund)

Slic3r plus Pronterface (Free, with Makergear supplied configurations on that SD card)

Some other free options are:
Cura (loved by some, but you'll have to figure out most of the M2 settings yourself)
MatterControl (has a decent, but not great default configuration for the M2. You won't get the nice startup script that comes with Simplify3D or slic3r, though we could help you add it)
Honestly, if you're willing to put in the extra $150, I'd go with Simplify3D. It's just easier for beginners, but it's also used by some of the most experienced printers on this forum.

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:33 pm

Whoops, yes that wording was confusing. Thanks for clarifying that! :D

(You do need to run the STLs through a Slicer program to convert them into g-code first.)