Newbie Help with Settings

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
pcady

Newbie Help with Settings

Post by pcady » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:11 am

Take a look at the attached pic. It was my 3rd print, after two successful Quickstart App prints. This one originated from thingverse calibration cube at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1067439 printed in Simplify3D.

The top of the holes is not perfect. What would I need to adjust to fix that?

Apologies for the newbie question & thanks for the jumpstart.
Attachments
IMG_20170115_215758.jpg

Jules

Re: Newbie Help with Settings

Post by Jules » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:20 am

First of all, your nozzle is just a little bit too far away from the plate for the first layer....the threads on your bottom layer are spaced too far apart. They're not bonding to each other properly....I can see large spaces between the threads and big loops at the ends. So it's not supporting the layers above it correctly. (The first layer is absolutely critical.)

Choose two or three outlines for that print, with the direction Inside to Outside. With overhangs and holes, you need multiple outlines to give the filament something to attach to and build out over.

If that is PLA, orienting the print on the plate so that the fan blows down the center of the hole will help a little with the slumping you see there. That happens to PLA on overhangs when it is not cooled quickly enough.

Read the Beginner's Guide here if you haven't done it yet....that is not a great calibration cube. There are much smaller ones that don't take forever to print that will help you to get things fine tuned without spending a week on it:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3542

:D

pcady

Post by pcady » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:20 pm

Excellent. Thanks, Jules, for pointing me in the right direction.

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:01 pm

No problem! :D Enjoy, and post if you have any more questions! ;)