M3 - maintenance (greases & oils)

Need some assistance getting started...post here...
Evan

M3 - maintenance (greases & oils)

Post by Evan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:00 am

Hi everyone,

After doing a few searches here, with results mostly M2 related, I'm wondering if there has been any change for which type of grease and oil to use on the M3. Is a white lithium grease for the X & Y rails ok? And a 3 in 1 oil for the Z bearings and rods? I am assuming the long centre Z screw does not need oil or grease on the M3? Thanks in advance.

sthone

Re: M3 - maintenance (greases & oils)

Post by sthone » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:53 pm

DO NOT USE GREASE ON THE RAILS From the M2 user guide..... Clean oil from the X and Y linear rails and apply a fresh coat to each. A dot of oil in each of the long grooves on the X and Y rails is sufficient. Once applied, move that axis through its full travel multiple times to spread the oil.

The white lithium grease use to be included with the M2's to use on the Z-drive screw but I'm not sure they still recommend that or not on the Newer models. I think they might have changed the recommended maintenance on the drive screw to oil too when they switched z motors but I don't recall where I read that so don't quote me on that one.

-Steve

Evan

Post by Evan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:50 pm

Thank you sthone. The M3 guide does say oil to the x & y also, no mention of Lithium grease. I do recall seeing it mentioned somewhere and for some reason I had that on my mind.

steve220

Post by steve220 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:59 pm

There is slightly conflicting info between the user manual and the wiki. The user manual refers to oil, but the wiki calls for lithium grease on the rails.
"Clean the X and Y linear rails, and the Z leadscrew, of grease, then apply a fresh coat to each - a dot of white lithium grease in each of the long grooves on the X and Y rails, and a dot in four consecutive troughs of the Z leadscrew; once applied, move that axis through its full travel multiple times to spread the grease. If you have one of the newer black Z motors, which has a plastic nut on the lead-screw do not apply grease. Check for and remove any built up dust or other contaminants."

http://makergear.wikidot.com/m2-lubrication

Not sure which way is better.

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:42 pm

I read to use grease when I got my first M2. The X-Axis rail on that machine started to buzz/rattle after a few months.
That machine was replaced for a warranty issue, and I've used oil only on the replacement machine. This one has stayed tight and quiet.
With a sample size of one, it's hard to make a claim, but I'm sticking with oil.

Evan

Post by Evan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:47 am

Thanks to all for the replies. I noticed a fair bit of dust etc on the rails and build platform after removing from the shipping box, so cleaned those thoroughly shortly after unpacking when my M3 was delivered. I wanted to get the right oil back on the rails as soon as possible. I am glad I asked, as I was about to get lithium grease and apply that but instead got oil.

It would be good to have more specific documentation on the M3 with regards to these things. But the community here is very helpful. Thanks again!