S3D time calculation and other confusing things

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
Toby

S3D time calculation and other confusing things

Post by Toby » Sat May 03, 2014 7:48 pm

I just printed rsilvers extruder and it seems the S3D time length calculation was way off. It said about 85 minutes. I didn't time it but it must have been more like 120-150 minutes.

I think the culprit is "z-lift". Theoretically that wouldn't change the print time if the z-axis accelerated instantaneously. Seems possible that S3D just ignores it.

I'm printing now with no z-lift and less infill and higher layer height, and the predicted time of 58 minutes seems to be on target.

Only problem is at layer height exactly .2 I got one of those pesky, random infills of an open hole on one layer. I missed it in the preview so now I'm going to have to pluck out a a layer of ABS inside the gear space.

I'm also getting a warning from S3D I don't understand. It says I'm in danger of having my infill width/ height ratio below 1.2. Except I'm printing at .2 layer height with a.35 mm nozzle at .95 extrusion multiplier and auto extrusion width. Same settings I've used a lot with PLA. Is there some other setting somewhere else that would trip this warning? As far as I can tell the print looks fine.

jsc

Re: S3D time calculation and other confusing things

Post by jsc » Sat May 03, 2014 9:10 pm

The Marlin firmware does many things behind the scenes with the commands it's given, in order to smooth accelerations and keep speeds up. It would be difficult for the slicer to replicate all that planning, and impossible to do it for all the configurations out there, so its time estimate is necessarily just an estimate with some built in assumptions.

Regarding the 1.2 ratio: do you have sparse infill turned on, maybe inadvertently?

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun May 04, 2014 12:19 am

yeah i did a print last night which was estimated 8.6hrs and it took 15 or so.

Toby

Post by Toby » Sun May 04, 2014 2:03 am

jsc wrote: Regarding the 1.2 ratio: do you have sparse infill turned on, maybe inadvertently?
Ah, good deduction. That was it, in the support section, sparse infill was set at every 2 layers. I had started with rsilvers factory file and didn't catch that when I changed the setting to .2 mm (or .19999 now).